VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by predcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As you know, all games from Good Old Games that require a DOS runtime environment usually come packaged with DOSBox and a wraparound for the game's executable. Unfortunately, they haven't updated their included version of DOSBox since 2008, and so it's up to users to update the packaged version manually. In a similar situation, there are a couple games that run using the ScummVM program, and a user could update said ScummVM simply by downloading the appropriate .zip file and extracting all contents into the game's ScummVM folder. I'm having trouble locating a .zip file, for manual installation, of DOSBox 0.74. All I can find is the installer .exe.

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then install dosbox, copy the installed files, uninstall dosbox. Yes you might be allergic to installing stuff you don't want, but that's not taking long

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This has been discussed before IIRC. The DOSBox devs are reluctant to provide a ZIP package for some reason. For the record, I'd like to have a ZIP package, too (; .

Anyway, there's an easy solution: you can unpack the NSIS installer with 7-zip. More convenient than installing/uninstalling.

PS: I think the aversion to using installers stems from prehistoric Win9x times, where many (nearly all, in my experience) uninstallers were crap and didn't remove all components, or removed more components than they should. It's a lot better with modern Windows versions, but I'm still using non-installer packages whenever I can. I even install games in a VM and copy them to my "main" OS afterwards where possible. Old habits die hard I guess.

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2011-02-21, 00:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by predcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, see, all I want to do is update the files in a /DOSBOX folder inside a game's main directory. Anyway, I did what I wanted to do by copying and pasting from the /DOSBOX folder inside the program folder for the D-Fend frontend program.

Reply 8 of 8, by Sadist boar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installer is LZMA, so just having 7zip is the thing. Rightclick the installer > 7-zip > open with 7-zip (top-most), then just drag DOSbox.exe and both SDL libs into the needed folder, then confirm replacement.

Sad fat people are never good at using complex programs.