VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sel666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,
since the dos emulation in xp seems rather flawed, lately i've started running basically all dos games through dosbox. however, some games that have been updated with midi support or a similar feature (such as ultima 3 and ultima 5) do not work, as the program claims it cannot load midpak. however, they do work in an xp emulation of dos (a "regular" dosbox). any idea why this is?

Regards
S.

Reply 2 of 6, by sel666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well regarding what midpak is i'm not quite sure, apparently some way of implementing midi in games that do not previous have music. the message says error loading midpak midi driver. the ultima upgrades i refer to are at http://exodus.voyd.net/ and are patches for using midi music in ultima 5 and 3.

Reply 4 of 6, by sel666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well..maybe midpak requires windows somehow? not sure if it works in pure dos, since these updates were created after windows 98 was introduced. though everything about it and the setup program looks like dos.

Reply 6 of 6, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, they failed for me too, at first. Then I edited the conf file and turned EMS on, then it started working just fine. I also, to be safe, upped the RAM from 4MB to 16MB. Not sure which fixed the problem, though. All I know is, set to 4MB with EMS=false it didn't work. Changed it to 16MB with EMS=true and it worked just fine.

Feeding Dragon