Common searches

Force 1920x1080 in DOSBox SVN?

Topic actions

First post, by Muyfa666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

I'm trying to get Tomb Raider (voodoo rush) to run at a 1920x1080 resolution in fullscreen, with no success.

It seems like I can't force the game to use this res. Is there some way to do this?

I tried to run with nGlide as wrapper, and 1920x1080 works and looks stunning. Why can't I reproduce this in DOSBox? I am using Tanwoong's build from 2011-03-20 with glide support.

For reference, I can't force 1920x1080 when I run in software mode either. Is there some setting I missed?

Reply 1 of 20, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DosBox screen output is 4:3 or 8:5 only.
Reason? All monitors from the DOS era are 4:3.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 20, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gamecollector, that's bs. What you probably mean is that games output 4:3, as there were no widescreen monitors in the DOS days. DOSBox can do a lot more though.

DOSBox can output its image to any resolution, either by stretching the picture (aspect=false), or by adding black "pillars" (aspect=true). Just set "output" to "ddraw" or "opengl" and play around with the settings in the "sdl" section.

nGlide's changelog for v0.95 says "added support for widescreen 16:9 resolutions" amongst other entries, so I guess the developer implemented some fixes/support for widescreen modes. I'm no expert in GLIDE emulation, but I guess it is possible to display widescreen "properly" (=not stretched) with "real" 3D games (=vectors, not pixels), like Tomb Raider. To put it simply: when a game outputs its graphics only in 4:3, there's not way to add the "missing" image info (pixels).

Btw, I think 1080p is overkill for DOS games (and emulation of old-ish systems in general). Textures in DOS 3D games are very low-res anyway, and pixel-based games don't benefit from the high resolution either. You're just putting a lot of load on your system without significantly increasing image quality, even when using scalers/shaders. For instance, if a DOS game outputs 320x200 pixels, the emulator can't magically increase the number of pixels. The only thing it can do is to take these pixels and try to make them look nicer, by means of scalers or shaders.

Oh, nearly forgot: nGlide is "just" a GLIDE wrapper. Taewoong's builds are using OpenGlide as a wrapper by default IIRC. It could be that OpenGlide doesn't support high and/or widescreen resolutions properly. Not sure if you already did that, but you can use nGlide (and other wrappers) as a wrapper in DOSBox. I've tried that some time ago with an older nGlide version, and it worked fine. It's important to understand though that DOSBox doesn't have any control over the GLIDE wrapper. The way I understand it, DOSBox delivers data to the wrapper, and the wrapper decides how to display the data.

There's also a new DOSBox patch which implements real 3DFX Voodoo emulation, but it's still work in progress.

Reply 4 of 20, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Put nGlide's glide2x.dll into the DOSBox folder (gulikoza's or another build that has glide support) and it'll use that wrapper instead of the one that came with it, enabling whatever resolutions and features nGlide supports.

Reply 5 of 20, by Muyfa666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't mind a little bit of stretching in some games and TR1 does look very nice in 1920x1080 imo.

I've already tried to use the nGlide glide2x.dll, with no difference. Could there be any settings in glide.ini or dosbox.conf that need to tweaked to allow what I'm trying to do?

Reply 9 of 20, by Muyfa666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Use my brain? Right. Neither ddraw of opengl gives me any image. I'm using direct3d atm.

No matter how I set the parameters under [sdl] and [render], DOSBox will not scale up and stretch the image.

EDIT: I got it working now. The magic was in glide.ini...

Resolution=2.0 made the full 1920x1080 work fine.

Would it be possible to force a high resolution like this in software mode too?

EDIT: Software working too. Nice. 😀 Tnx for all the help fellas.

Reply 11 of 20, by Muyfa666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game does look very good now... but I almost hurt my head. 😉

I was thinking thou... are there any glide wrapper that's "best"? Most of the wrappers around seem quite old. How to know which one to use?

Reply 12 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nglide is up to date, I think.
Problem is that a wrapper that is great for one game sucks for another... You will always have to try stuff

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 20, by Muyfa666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IC... I've seen no real problems with the glide included in my DOSBox build, but can I just replace the gilde2x.dll in my DOSBox build with the one nGlide installs, or do I have to have the whole package?

Reply 14 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

don'T know, but it will take you about a minute to find out 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 20, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are going to have the whole package installed in your system, then you must remove glide2x.dll in your dosbox directory. Or you may simply replace glide2x.dll with nGlide one.

Muyfa666 wrote:

🤣. You are absolutely right. I took about that time. I seems I can not use the glide.ini for config with nGlide's wrapper...

Right, that is because glide.ini is only for OpenGlide. As soon as you start a game with OpenGlide, the glide.ini will be newly created unless it exists. 😀

Reply 18 of 20, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using DOSbox SVN (Daum Jan 2014 update) and changing the glide.ini to 2.0 at resolution works a treat for me too, although, as others have said, it doesn't get you any more pixels.
I'm writing an article for a tech blog about older games on newer machines and have been playing with TR1 most of the day and finally fixed the no music issue by putting -t cdrom in the mount line, although I don't know what the -t switch actually means, in spite of looking it up.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 19 of 20, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, found it..
-t cdrom in the mount line defines how the mounted folder should behave to the emulated OS.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM