VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Damiano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Sorry to bother with may it seem odd and irrelevant question due to it's slight insignificance perhaps, but that thing kinda gets me. Tell me please, why does it change files attributes, specifically date&time if managing from within DOSBox, like copy&paste procedure and perhaps something else that i haven't discovered yet results in a mass date and time change of moved/copied files, applying constantly the current time thereto. It's just that i keep an eye on everything, and issues like that have always been disturbing to me, although it's not by any means hazardous, but i just don't feel i like it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Reply 1 of 16, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might not have understood your question completely, and I might be wrong about my DOS related memories, but I believe that's how it's supposed to work.
DOS stamped the files with the last written date, so, any move or copy operations re-stamped the files.
Looking at whatever I did today with DosBox (play Dungeon Keeper) shows what, at least to me, is correct behaviour:
I reinstalled Dungeon Keeper after Ripsaw explained some things to me, 9 days ago, so those files are stamped 20/03/2011; the saved game (continue.sav) is 29/03/2011; completely logical, given the fact that I played today. By the way, Windows functions pretty much the same, I copied a 1993 file to another directory and 'lo Creation date gets marked as today, as well as last access, the only remaining one was the last modification date.

Reply 3 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Real DOS does not have a timestamp for creation, only one for modification. Although the initial timestamp also reflects creation, it will be overwritten with modifications. Some applications like archivers (PKZip, LHA, ARJ, etc.), and DOS itself for commands like COPY, will preserve the modification timestamp of files using a DOS function (INT 21/57) to change a file's timestamp. However, official DOSBox does not implement the function, so the modification timestamp is always the current date/time of the host.

There is some benefit in knowing which files DOSBox has been manipulating, and games/applications are unable to "cover up" the fact by changing the timestamp. For example, if an executable file's timestamp is changed, it could indicate the presence of a virus. I stress that it *could* indicate a virus... some programs update the contents of their own executable files for benign reasons.

FYI, ykhwong's build of DOSBox has a patch to implement changing file timestamps with INT 21/57. However, I don't think the shell's COPY command uses the function, so only software running under the emulation that calls the function will change the timestamps (file managers and archive programs typically do).

Reply 4 of 16, by Damiano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thank you sir, now everything's clear. Yeah, i guess i could take advantage of that little deficiency, but normally i can detect any time/date stamp change myself, so i don't think i'd ever use it to track down infected files. Anyways... thank you very much for explanation. I can still preserve original date/time by managing files from outside DOSBox, in windows or so... in that case they remain intact.

I am on irc.freenode.net: #TGOD

Reply 5 of 16, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recall this caused a problem for Duke Nukem 3D. A patch for it identifies files by timestamp. When the patch determines that the file hasn't been there since 1996 it concludes that the file is a different version than needed and stops. I got around it by installing on a Windows 98 system which left the original time intact.

Reply 6 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

So actually the conclusion should be: DOSBox does not change the date/time of files (back to the ones before the operation on them)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 16, by Damiano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix, right, actually i wanted to add that too, i understood clearly what the issue is. But to make it short i just said that "it changes" whereas it simply does not stamp those back along with the files themselves respectivelly. However, that doesn't make the situation more appealing. To me it's still a "change" and not simply a "lack", if to perceive that process literally as "copying".

Anyways, guys, you ought to supplement your next may-be-upcoming version 0.75 with that INT of yours to make it look a bit more authentic at least in a way the real DOS environment should be. You've already come so far so that there's really a sense of polishing it further a bit getting rid of these little gaps for a mere principle. I'll be looking forward to download your new version with INT fixed. Hope you take it into consideration.

Good luck!

Reply 11 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Last time I checked, the COPY command did not preserve timestamps in ykhwong's build. I looked at the latest version, and it hasn't changed. There is no additional code in the COPY command to get the source file's timestamp and set it on the target file. However, ykhwong's build does include an XCOPY.EXE on the Z: drive that is a DOS program (not an internal command like COPY) that calls INT 21/57. As I mentioned before, any file manager, archiver, or other program that uses the DOS function to set the timestamps should work in ykhwong's build.

Reply 12 of 16, by Damiano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah.... you're right actually, why did i think that it works - no idea. I just checked it myself, managed COPY manually and timestamp changes. That is, doesn't bring the original one back. So yeah... only managers work it out.

Reply 13 of 16, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

There is no additional code in the COPY command to get the source file's timestamp and set it on the target file.

Haven't you checked FreeDOS website? There are binary and source of COPY command which handles timestamp set. The binary from below link seems to have some issues running in DOSBox so I've replaced it with another one to get it to work.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … files/dos/copy/

Reply 15 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Haven't you checked FreeDOS website?

Er, no, I haven't. I wasn't looking for a workaround, I was pointing out that the timestamps weren't preserved, and why.

I've tried your latest build that includes COPY.EXE on the Z: drive, and I just want to point out that if, for whatever reason, the PATH does not include Z:, trying to do a COPY results in "Illegal command: copy". I'm sure you had to disable the internal COPY command so it would not be used in preference to the external one, but COPY in real DOS is always available, regardless of what's in the PATH.

Reply 16 of 16, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Haven't you checked FreeDOS website?

Er, no, I haven't. I wasn't looking for a workaround, I was pointing out that the timestamps weren't preserved, and why.

I've tried your latest build that includes COPY.EXE on the Z: drive, and I just want to point out that if, for whatever reason, the PATH does not include Z:, trying to do a COPY results in "Illegal command: copy". I'm sure you had to disable the internal COPY command so it would not be used in preference to the external one, but COPY in real DOS is always available regardless of what's in the PATH.

Yes, you're right. I will provide a solution in my upcoming build. (Not sure if I can do it though) 😀