VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sel666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,
do any of you know how to set the relative volume of wav and midi? some games have far too high wav and too low midi. however, no programs like sbset and sbmixer seem to work through autoexec.bat. the windows volume control doesnt work since it seems that all sound (in the real operative system) is routed through wav, even if it's midi. any ideas?

Reply 2 of 6, by bbitmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

and with MPU-401 being routed through MIDI, Adlib being routed through wav. The windows volume controls worked great for me at adjusting Wolf3d. Which had problems with sounds being way louder than the music.

Life is short, Death is sure, Sin the curse, Christ the cure.

Reply 3 of 6, by sel666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well in ultima underworld 1 for instance, using adlib the voices are far higher than the midi music. changing the wav volume in windows makes the midi music lower as well, and the midi slider has no effect at all on either sound or music. and i'd use mt-32 but the results are of course very bad since general midi is mismatched to the mt-32 banks.

S.

Reply 5 of 6, by bbitmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could have sworn turning up the midi in windows volume controls had an impact on wolf3d. But it seems I was mistaken, the "wave/MP3" control is the only one that has any effect.

I might be mistaken here too, (spoiled from playing newer FPS games), but I seem to remember wolf3d adjusting volumes of sounds nearer and farther away. If someone shoots and he's in your face, its alot louder than if he's far away. It doesn't seem to do this at all in dosbox. Everything is just really loud no matter how far away it is.

Anyway, I'm going to look at the wolf3d source code and see if I can find it doing that.

*edit*
I think I see something there about it changing the volume of the left and right channels, but I'm clueless knowing little to nothing about the soundblaster. Judging from the comments though, I think it used an SB PRO feature to do that. And I don't think dosbox supports the SB pro yet.

Dosbox developers - for whatever use this information might be, you can grab the wolf3d source floating around and check out ID_SD.C particularly the SDL_PositionSBP() function there to see how it sets the volume.

Last edited by bbitmaster on 2003-11-13, 04:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Life is short, Death is sure, Sin the curse, Christ the cure.

Reply 6 of 6, by konthar

User metadata

Just wanted to add my two cent's worth. I've recently started using Dosbox & it's been working very well, but I have had this same sound issue (wav's being loud, midi's being quiet). However, in all the games I've tried my windows volume control DOES work for changing volume in both midi & wav. Not enough however, as even when I've turned wav volume almost off & maxed the midi, midi is still not as loud as wav. My sound card is an SBLive 5.1 running under XP.