VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Uhfgood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does fullscreen switch into 8bit color mode (256 colors) I notice in some games when switching screens it does the palette flicker, and i'm kind of wondering because I want to play some of these games on my tv, but my tv card only outputs in 16bit color in windows, it doesn't do dos or 8bit (256) colors. Would anyone be willing to let me know?

Keith

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try it ? 😀

honestly it'll work but slower.
As long as your videocard reports that 8 bpp isn't allowed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by Uhfgood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You missed what I said. My video-to-tv card won't allow 8bit color or dos programs to be displayed on the tv. I'm wondering if Dosbox uses 8bit color in fullscreen mode or not? If it does, then I won't be able to play the games on my tv, but if it uses 16bit color in fullscreen, then i'll be able to play it.

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It will work as long as your video card reports that 8 bbp isn't allowed (dosbox will then use the current colordepth (which might be 16 bbp)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 6, by Uhfgood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well if you feel like buying me one, i'd be glad to accept it. It's a matrox rainbow runner card attached to a matrox millenium 2, and for an analog capture card it's pretty darn good, with the exception that it's pretty old. Plus there's no sense in ridiculing someone else's hardware.