VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rangoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - just found the forum here, and looks like a great place to be. I am considering purchasing "The Dark Eye" - 1995 from inSCAPE. I am running Vista 64-bit, GTX 285, X-Fi sound card, 1920x1200 display.

Should I expect to be able to get this game running if I can find a copy of Windows 3.1 and use DosBox? Or am I asking for a big headache leading to frustration and more headache?

I have read that it requires an old version of QuickTime. Would I be able to install a 16-bit version of QT into a Win 3.1 installation within DosBox?

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 5, by Rangoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, though I had already searched google for this and had read all of the page-one links your search returned. However, what I can't find are specific success stories with Vista/7 64-bit. I have found Vista 32-bit and XP successes, but not Vista 64-bit. Would this create any problems for me? Or should I expect as much chance for success with either OS? I should have specified that in my OP. I don't know if, for example, an old 16-bit version of QuickTime will run in DOSBox on my 64-bit Vista computer.

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox doesn't care about the host. If dosbox works then everything inside dosbox works.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper