VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by reluctant gamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm one of those people for whom that codec will inexplicably refuse to install. I ran it as administrator like I read on some forum but that did nothing.

My question is then how does one get a program like VideoLAN to record what you're doing in DosBox? It wouldn't make sense to use said program to run DosBox correctly.m Is there something I'm missing?

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try CTRL-ALT-F5? oh wait,the codec, right.

ffdshow should have a ZMBV codec in there, and you never mentioned your OS so we don't know if it's 64-bit vista or 7 (which zmbv should still work in anyway)

Reply 3 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesn't VideoLAN support zmbv playback natively? I have VLC installed, i just don't remember if I actually installed zmbv separately. The VLC sources seem to hint that support should be included.

Reply 5 of 9, by kraileth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, reluctant gamer!

I also had problems with video recording (for me it was about games becoming laggy at higher resolutions) and asked if a few things could improve dosbox recording. But while nobody has yet replied to that, there were suggestions on how to solve the problem in a different way.

So you may want to read Mau1wurf1977's first answer on this thread. Maybe this is of any help to you, too.

Reply 6 of 9, by reluctant gamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yikes. I followed much of what was being said, but I know next to nothing about code or about taking apart video electronically. And I don't think directly relevant to what I was asking anyway. Except maybe for the talk of video capturing, which I don't completely understand. Some program that does the work automatically(the codec, I thought) so that WMP or whatever can open it would greatly help.

Edit: Well, forget my immediate problem. I'm glad to know I can still record videos without the codec. But on my main subject, it looks like VideoLAN will play them just fine. That might change if I get around to playing Duke 3d and Shadow Warrior I suppose, but high-res isn't a pressing problem to me.

Reply 7 of 9, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to do a Let's Play for YouTube (of SSI's Curse of the Azure Bonds) with narration, and hadn't yet figured out how to smoosh together a separate narration track (from Windows Sound Recorder) with DOSBox's native video capture. (My teen daughter, who posts occasional music lyrics videos on YouTube, thought it could be done in Windows Movie Maker, but hadn't yet made the attempt.) Another YouTuber who does Let's Plays of Gold Box games (aulddragon) referred me to a how-to video on the subject by Lateblt, which helped a lot. Both of those fellows use CamStudio to record gameplay & narration in a single step. (CamStudio 2.0 is quite stable, so that's the version I now use.) After recording a gameplay session in AVI with CamStudio, I convert it to FLV with Any Video Converter (there are other converter programs out there, but that's the one my daughter's been using, and it's easy for me to use, too), then upload the FLV version to YouTube.
Now if I could just get rid of the slightly-delayed "echo" of my voice through the speakers when recording! It doesn't show up in playback, but it's annoying, and throws off the pace of my narration. 😅

Reply 8 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you hear your voice coming out from the speakers, you just need to change this in the mixer setup.

Not sure which OS you are using, haven't used XP for years, but I know its a simple mixer setting.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 9, by eksfaktr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My brother and I have been doing sporadic Let's Play videos as of late (his YouTube channel is WildWeasel486, I believe), and we've had excellent luck using Fraps for recording. Unfortunately, this does still record the microphone as the same track as the game sound.