VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sulax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Eprom Programmer which is connected to PC Parallel Port.
The Programmer works on DOS Platform ( independent - non DosBox) and also on Xp.
However when I used DOSBOX 0.74 in Xp and try to use the Eprom Progrmmer it gives Error..possibly not able communicate or access Parallel Port.
Can any one help out what can be the issue.

Reply 4 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Everything fried is great 😉

But seriously for work like that make yourself a dedicated DOS machine. Everything else is asking for major trouble

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 10, by sulax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Friends

Can any one suggest as to how do I Install DOS on today's high end machine... which even doesn't allow installing Windpws Xp.. Will this high end contemporary machines allow me to install DOS ? I tried but not successful. If anyone can suggest.. I would be grateful

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You need an old machine.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 10, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or a new EPROM burner. 😉

Generally, most desktop machines still allow installing DOS, or at least copying a working installation from another machine. Unless they use EFI instead of BIOS, or the graphics card is not VGA compatible, it should work.

I've had good success with the DOS that's built into Windows 98SE (aka MS-DOS 7.1). Just make a 2GB FAT16 partition at the start of the hard disk with some CD-bootable partition management program, boot DOS from a floppy or boot a Windows 98 "rescue disk" floppy (an external USB floppy drive should work with the right BIOS settings, if the MB has no connector for a real PC floppy drive), FORMAT C: and off you go. As for parallel ports, if your modern MB doesn't have one you can get them on PCI cards and usually there exists a DOS program to configure them.

My Core2Quad system happily boots into DOS 7.1 and except for the sound card and non-standard USB devices I can use most hardware without problems from DOS.

tearex