VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lukasn1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i would like to ask you, how to configure your dosbox graphics settings(output and scaler) to get graphics as close as the original dos graphics. And please dont tell me that it depends on your personal taste. Just tell me how should i configure output and scaler(and maybe something else) to get graphics as close as the original dos was

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Scaler set to none

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

scaler=none
output=openglnb

(Output doesn't depend on you're personal taste, but does depend on what OS you currently use. opengl should be supported across platforms)

Last edited by kolano on 2011-05-25, 04:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by Laucian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

scaler=none
output=opengl

(Output doesn't depend on you're personal taste, but does depend on what OS you currently use. opengl should be supported across platforms)

I'd say that output=openglnb is closer to MS-DOS, as the normal opengl output enables bilinear filtering that smooths stuff a bit. But well. Try both and see what floats your boat.

Reply 4 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

output=openglnb results in rows and columns of pixels with uneven sizes (some are thicker than others). At least if you use aspect=true to preserve the original aspect ratio.
CRT monitors didn't produce prefectly "sharp" scanlines anyway, depending on resolution and dot pitch. So the slight blending caused by bilinear filtering isn't a big problem for me.

But it all depends on your monitor (type, resolution, aspect ratio) and on the emulated graphics modes.

Reply 5 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These are the settings I use:

fullscreen=true
fullresolution=0x0
output=openglnb
aspect=true
scaler=normal3x

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use three settings:

First, the widescreen approach:

fullresolution=1280x800, 1600x1000, 1920x1200
output=openglnb
aspect=false
scaler=none

That will get you rows and columns of evenly sized pixels, every time.

Second, the proper aspect ratio approach :

fullresolution=1600x1200
output=direct3d
aspect=false
scaler=none

This will give you a proper aspect ratio for 320x200 games and evenly sized pixels, but text modes may not look quite right.

Third, the CRT approach:

fullresolution=original
output=surface
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

With these settings, the game will look as it should on a VGA monitor. But it requires a CRT.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog