VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

Just stumbled apon DOSBox the other day after I finished build a real MS DOS BOX with an old Pentium PC.

I have scaped the "Real Dos Box" and trying to get all the classic sierra games happening under Windows 2000 on a PIII 550mhz.

What's the minimum hardware needed for this game as it runs mega slow. Even after fiddling with the Frame Skip and CPU speed it still runs slow..

The sound is not choppy at all so I gather the CPU speed is correct. (Read the README.TXT).

It's like playing the game on an old 386 when you need a 486 to run at a playable speed.

All other games like SP3, Larry 3 etc run fine.. Just the "Newer" sierra games in high colour that seem slow?

Cheers,

Rob

Reply 2 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Minimums for SQ6 from the box:

MS-DOS 5.0+
WIN 3.1+
486/25+; 8MB RAM
5MB on Hard Drive
2X CD-ROM,SVGA
Mouse

This seems to run OK in DOSBox on my system with CPU cycles set at 5000 though the different screens load a little slow. At 10000 cycles it runs like you would want it to, with smooth sound.

Both the DOS with VDMS and Windows versions seems to run OK in XP (don't know if there are any timer bugs etc. that will prevent you from playing all the way through on a modern computer.)

Reply 4 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a timer bug that causes a crash in SQ6. I believe it is in the scene after the one in which you activate the tracking beacon. And it crashed, if I recall correctly, on my P2-266, so...

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 5, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a an AMD 1.4 Ghz running Linux and the game seems fine. Of course the movies don't play any sound(instead I get an "Unable to Initialize VMDSOUND.CPP)and I can't get any further than half of the game due to a problem with the game waiting for the sound to play when it never will.
And I never had a problem with the timer after the homing beacon.