VOGONS

Common searches

DosBox on Mac -- questions

Topic actions

First post, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all -- I'm new to both Mac and DosBox. I don't really understand Dos.

I'd like to run King's Quest games in DosBox on the Mac. I have Windows XP in VMware Fusion, and have installed the games there. I have installed an installation thing from the Sierra Help website for the 1997 King's Quest Collection as well as a patch for the 2006 collection.

I copied these files into Finder.

I was told that I needed to edit the Windows paths so that they would run on Mac. Being unfamiliar with DosBox, Dos, I'm not really sure what I need to change.

The programs are in Finder, and they're in my username, then Sierra...and then...

the 1997 ones are in a folder called King's Quest Collection Series.
the individual games are in folders within that folder called
Kings Quest 1
Kings Quest 1 SCI
Kings Quest 2
Kings Quest 3
Kings Quest 4
Kings Quest 5
Kings Quest 6
Kings Quest 7

the 2006 ones are in a folder called King's Quest Collection(TM)
the individual games are in folders within that folder called
KQ1SCI
KQ2
KQ3
KQ4
KQ5
KQ6
KQ7

I'd like each game to play if I double click on it in Finder and go right into the game, without me having to type in any Dos stuff...as they play in Window with these installation (1997) and the patch (2006).

Is anyone able to help me with this? Thank you.

Reply 1 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might be better off using a DOSBox frontent. They are meant to hide all the "typing stuff" and make it easier...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might be better off using a DOSBox frontent. They are meant to hide all the "typing stuff" and make it easier...

Thanks, but I don't know what a DOSBox frontent is.

Also, I don't know that I can use the folders that I copied as they are because the installer that I copied them from in Windows configured them to play in Windows with DosBox. That developer didn't know the paths on a Mac, so they suggested that I come here and ask.

I do have the originals, but I can't get KQ7 to play....

The installer that this person made allows me to play all of them in DosBox, including KQ 7. The problem, though, is that he configured them to run in Windows. I can run them in XP, but I would prefer getting them to run on Mac.

Alternatively, you can run them through ScummVM - much less painful. You could even hold Shift and click Mass Add to add the collection folders in one go. Happy

I have ScummVM installed on both XP and the Mac part of the computer, but I really don't know much about it or how to work it.

I also wouldn't really know how to install the games on that. I guess i could try to look into it, but I'm not sure I could use the folders from the patches/install. I might have to use the original files, which I DO have on the Mac. But the problem with that is that I'd probably run into a problem with KQ 7. There's this fire cracker that will blow up the minute that I get it. The stuff that I downloaded from the Sierra help site corrects that, and it also allows for KQ 7 to run in DosBox.....and also it installs the games on the computer instead of making me play from CDs from the 1997 collection.

Reply 4 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No worries.

Easier option:

Run Windows XP and go to US steam. Purchase the steam Kings Quest Collection. It will create all the shortcuts for you.

Then run that same update / patch utility you mentioned earlier. It fixes some bugs and timing issues and you are good to go!

Yes it costs a little, but it also saves us time (time = money)

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 36, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The patch was made for the VU 2006 collection, which is essentially what the Steam collection is. No need to buy it twice. He also has the much superior KQ Collection
Series, which has the 2.00b version of KQ7 with DOS interpreter. He just needs help with remapping the mounting in the autoexec section of the dosbox.conf files and setting up aliases for them.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

He just needs help with remapping the mounting in the autoexec section of the dosbox.conf files and setting up aliases for them.

I know, but this is easier said than done 😁

I know the Steam + update works 100% and it seems he is after something quick and easy that "just works".

Reply 7 of 36, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Again, the Steam collection is the same as the VU release from 2006. The fact that my patch works on the Steam version demonstrates it. He already has it working in Windows, so that is not the problem. He wants to play the games on his Mac:

The installer that this person made allows me to play all of them in DosBox, including KQ 7. The problem, though, is that he configured them to run in Windows. I can run them in XP, but I would prefer getting them to run on Mac.

Hence he need help with how to change the mountings in the autoexec of the dosbox.conf files and setting up the aliases. I am just not that familiar enough with paths on the Mac to help him.

Reply 8 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

But I can help 😉
@arwen:
Please get rid of your long foldernames, because this makes it much easier to use.
Then start Dosbox and just type
mount c ~/sierra
Now you use the cd command to change folders

Alternatively the program Boxer is a good frontend for Dosbox. I think it is now available on the appstore. Otherwise searching for os x dosbox boxer should find it on google

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
No worries. […]
Show full quote

No worries.

Easier option:

Run Windows XP and go to US steam. Purchase the steam Kings Quest Collection. It will create all the shortcuts for you.

Then run that same update / patch utility you mentioned earlier. It fixes some bugs and timing issues and you are good to go!

Yes it costs a little, but it also saves us time (time = money)

Thanks for your suggestion, but after looking at the Steam website, it doesn't seem to solve the problem at all. First of all, the KQ on Steam is only available in Windows. I already have the games on Windows, with the patches.

I also have them on Mac in Finder. I copied and pasted those files into Finder.

I don't really want to buy ANOTHER copy of KQ when I already have two copies of it, plus Apple IIGS versions of 1-4. The version they have on Steam looks identical to the 2006 collection I already have.

I just want to get it working on the Mac side of things with DosBox for Mac...the same as it works in Windows. With the new installation for 1997 and the patch for 2006, I can run the games in Windows, and it automatically makes them run in DosBox. I don't have to type anything in to get them to run. I tried DosBox before getting the patches, and it was frustrating trying to get the stuff to mount, and it's a bother typing stuff in every time I want to run something. The stuff that Collector put together works very well.

I need help getting it to run in Mac's DosBox now.

The patch was made for the VU 2006 collection, which is essentially what the Steam collection is. No need to buy it twice. He also has the much superior KQ Collection Series, which has the 2.00b version of KQ7 with DOS interpreter. He just needs help with remapping the mounting in the autoexec section of the dosbox.conf files and setting up aliases for them.

Thanks, Collector, for helping to clarify for everyone here 😀 I don't know all of the computer language to get my point across.

If someone could help me do what Collector said here, that is what I'm really looking for.

I know, but this is easier said than done Very Happy

I know the Steam + update works 100% and it seems he is after something quick and easy that "just works".

I'm going to need a lot of help getting the files edited so that they run, as I'm not a programmer, nor am I familiar with DosBox or Dos. But I can follow directions, as long as they are very clear.

What I need doesn't have to be quick and easy right away, but if I have good directions, it shouldn't be that difficult. I'm up for a challenge -- I just need to know what to put into what files and where. I knew that it wouldn't be easy to put all this stuff into the file...it's probably very tedious -- but if it can help me so that the games work as well as they do in Windows, then they'll just run easily once the changes are made to the files. That's what I want -- the end result to be painless so that when I want to play the games, I don't have to mess with Dos code that confuses me every single time.

Last edited by Arwen4CJ on 2011-07-02, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Either follow my advice or get boxer or wait until I adapt Collectors Windows installer for Mac. I am working on this but needed to take a break because my baby son takes too much time. Basic scripting is done but needs fine tuning and needs to be done for each game. Could be another couple of months.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dominus, thanks -- please see my comments below my reply to Collector in this message

collector wrote:

Again, the Steam collection is the same as the VU release from 2006. The fact that my patch works on the Steam version demonstrates it. He already has it working in Windows, so that is not the problem. He wants to play the games on his Mac:

Hence he need help with how to change the mountings in the autoexec of the dosbox.conf files and setting up the aliases. I am just not that familiar enough with paths on the Mac to help him.

Yep....that's what I need 😀

Last edited by Arwen4CJ on 2011-07-02, 16:18. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please reply right away in one go and don't add more and more edits. People get notifications of new answers and reply to that, if you add later to a post this could be missed, so don't plan to multiedit from the start. You don't need to be that thorough, since we can read the thrrad as well

Reply 13 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Please reply right away in one go and don't add more and more edits. People get notifications of new answers and reply to that, if you add later to a post this could be missed, so don't plan to multiedit from the start. You don't need to be that thorough, since we can read the thrrad as well

Dominus,
Very awesome! No problem...I can get rid of the long folder names, if you have suggestions, I'll just rename the folders to whatever you suggest. No big deal.

sorry, again, I'm not real familiar with Dos or Dos box. What is the cd command?

I do have Boxer on the Mac -- I found that via another forum. I tried running it before I installed the new installation stuff from the 1997 collection and before I installed the patches for 2006. I think I used the files from the 2006 edition (that was before I knew that the 1997 collection was actually better) plus the original version of KQ 1 copied from the 1997 collection. I got them all to work in Boxer, but they wouldn't run right away. I double clicked on the disk pictures in Boxer, and this Dos thing came up. I clicked on the help file on there and figured out that I could type in "reveal" and it would open the Folder in Finder. Then I went and found the Sierra.exe file of whatever game I was trying to run, and then told it to open in Boxer, and the games worked.

Before I figured that out, it told me that there were no files it could run in the folder.

I couldn't get KQ 7 from the 2006 collection to run in Boxer because it didn't have a Dos file. However, I remembered that it was on the 1997 version, so I copied that folder over to Finder. I tried getting it to run in Boxer, but it gave me some kind of error about a missing 999 pal thing.

I haven't tried Boxer with the patched versions yet, but I'll go and do that now.

Although I don't mind typing "reveal" and then looking for the Sierra.exe file, and right clicking that, and then having it run in Boxer (I finished KQ 6 by doing this), it would be better if there were something that worked like the patched version in Windows.

I will be satisfied, though, if I can get KQ 7 to run in Boxer Happy So, I'm off to try the patched versions Happy

Sorry about the multiple edits -- I've been in other forums where that is expected.

Reply 14 of 36, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arwen4CJ wrote:

Which folder exactly?

Arwen4CJ wrote:

I was told that I needed to edit the Windows paths so that they would run on Mac.

Like Dominus wrote:

Arwen4CJ wrote:

mount c ~/sierra

Describing his example, the ~ sign is your users's folder, and "sierra" is a folder in this folder.
If the stuff is outside of your user's folder, say on an external hard disk, the path would be like
"/Volumes/External HD Name/Some_other_folders/sierra/"

Arwen4CJ wrote:
Kings Quest 1 Kings Quest 1 SCI Kings Quest 2 Kings Quest 3 Kings Quest 4 Kings Quest 5 Kings Quest 6 […]
Show full quote

Kings Quest 1
Kings Quest 1 SCI
Kings Quest 2
Kings Quest 3
Kings Quest 4
Kings Quest 5
Kings Quest 6

These are listed as ScummVM compatible at their compatibility list.
For ScummVM games, usually there is no installation required. To add a game to the ScummVM GUI, select the folder containing the required files. Using ScummVM prevents you from fiddling around with silly DOS commands.

Klimawandel.

Reply 15 of 36, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Either follow my advice or get boxer or wait until I adapt Collectors Windows installer for Mac. I am working on this but needed to take a break ... Basic scripting is done but needs fine tuning and needs to be done for each game. Could be another couple of months.

Anyway, probably here is a beta tester.

Klimawandel.

Reply 16 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Either follow my advice or get boxer or wait until I adapt Collectors Windows installer for Mac. I am working on this but needed to take a break because my baby son takes too much time. Basic scripting is done but needs fine tuning and needs to be done for each game. Could be another couple of months.

I can wait a couple months, if I get them working in Boxer just fine 😀

I'm very glad that you are working on the patches and installation files for the King's Quest Collections. Yay! 😀

I also finished playing through the games, so it'll probably be a while before I feel like playing them again. I just wanted them available, and thought that if such a thing existed as patches on Mac, that would be lots of happiness for the next time I played 😀

Take as much time as you need. I'm just glad to hear that such a thing is taking place. You must have been the one that Collector referred to on the Sierra forums. He said that someone was working on Mac patches. 😀

Thank you for taking the time to reply and help me out.

Reply 17 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:
Arwen4CJ wrote:

Which folder exactly?

Your user name is IIGS User? Awesome! 😀 My family has an Apple IIGS, which is how I originally got into King's Quest. Maybe you can help me with getting those games to play in an Apple IIGS emulator. I'll start a new thread about that. I'm not sure where to post it, though. My issue is with copy protection on Disk 1 of King's Quest 2 as well as the King's Quest 1 copy that I have. I'll look for a place to start the thread. 😀

Anyway, to answer your question above...where I copied the files in Finder -- I created a folder called Sierra off of my user's folder. Within the Sierra folder, I have three folders. One is for the copies of the games that I used with Boxer. (These are not the patched versions of the games). The second folder is for the 1997 collection, patched versions. The third is for the 2006 collection. Within each of the collection folders are individual folders for each game. That's where they are located. (I guess the Boxer ones were copied into a folder that Boxer created as well.)

Arwen4CJ wrote:

I was told that I needed to edit the Windows paths so that they would run on Mac.

Like Dominus wrote:

Arwen4CJ wrote:

mount c ~/sierra

Describing his example, the ~ sign is your users's folder, and "sierra" is a folder in this folder.
If the stuff is outside of your user's folder, say on an external hard disk, the path would be like
"/Volumes/External HD Name/Some_other_folders/sierra/"

okay, I can follow that -- and I will try it...but will the patched versions of the collections be able to run, since they were patched to run in Windows' DosBox, or doesn't it matter? When I installed the patches, it asked me for a DosBox to use with it. It wouldn't recognize the Mac DosBox, so I had to use a Windows DosBox for it.

Arwen4CJ wrote:
Kings Quest 1 Kings Quest 1 SCI Kings Quest 2 Kings Quest 3 Kings Quest 4 Kings Quest 5 Kings Quest 6 […]
Show full quote

Kings Quest 1
Kings Quest 1 SCI
Kings Quest 2
Kings Quest 3
Kings Quest 4
Kings Quest 5
Kings Quest 6

These are listed as ScummVM compatible at their compatibility list.
For ScummVM games, usually there is no installation required. To add a game to the ScummVM GUI, select the folder containing the required files. Using ScummVM prevents you from fiddling around with silly DOS commands.

I didn't try them in ScummVM, but my guess would be that I would need to use the patched versions of the game -- again, during the installation of the patches, I had to use a Windows copy of ScummVM. Will I still be able to run the patched versions in ScummVM on the Mac version of it?

Reply 18 of 36, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Find your games in this list: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles
to see which files are required. If your games are not on the list, just point SCUMMVM to the game folder.
Use the original, unmodified versions of your games, not the patched ones from compilations.

If you're on a Mac you should use Boxer for games that you can't run in SCUMMVM: http://boxerapp.com/blog/

Boxer is a DOSBOX front-end/wrapper for Intel Macs, it is extremely easy to use, installing and running games is a breeze and little to no tweaking is required.

Reply 19 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sune Salminen wrote:
Find your games in this list: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles to see which files are required. If your games are not […]
Show full quote

Find your games in this list: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles
to see which files are required. If your games are not on the list, just point SCUMMVM to the game folder.
Use the original, unmodified versions of your games, not the patched ones from compilations.

If you're on a Mac you should use Boxer for games that you can't run in SCUMMVM: http://boxerapp.com/blog/

Boxer is a DOSBOX front-end/wrapper for Intel Macs, it is extremely easy to use, installing and running games is a breeze and little to no tweaking is required.

If I use the original, unmodified versions of my games, I don't think that King's Quest 7 would work. There is this part that I got stuck at when I tried playing the game without the patches. When I played the game in XP, as part of the 2006 collection, only has the Windows version of the game. There's a part where the character has to take a firecracker. It blows up as soon as the character takes it, without the patches.

If I remember right, KQ 7 isn't supported on SCUMMVM.

When I try to play the original KQ 7 (1997 version, which does have a Dos Version) in Boxer, I get an error message saying that it can't find some file called 999.PAL or something. It doesn't matter if I play the game with the CD in or out, I still get the same message.

Also, I have to do this "reveal" thing in Boxer, Finder opens, I go find the Sierra.exe file, and then I tell it to play in Boxer -- that's the only way I can get the original files from 2006 to play in Boxer. And again, I can't play the 2006 version of KQ 7 because it doesn't have a DOS file. I have to try to play it from the 1997 collection, but I get that error message that I described above.