VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by slc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't want to use the virtual internal drive called Z:. Does anyone know how to switch to the c drive or edit the config file in order to have the option of browsing to the C drive?

Reply 1 of 6, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
first of all you have to mount a folder as drive c.
you can do this by typing inside dosbox or write into the autoexec section in your config file something like this:

mount c c:\dosbox\games

(where "c:\dosbox\games" is the path were you store the data you want to use with dosbox)

Next you can change the drive by typing
c:

at the prompt (or like the mount command, just add it to the autoexec section in your conf).

You can even set the PATHs like in real DOS.

To do this just enter something like this:

set path=%path%;c:\;

Hope that's what you want to know.

Reply 2 of 6, by slc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried adding the path with the dos command but it still doens't work. Here's what I added to the autoexec:

mount c: c:\dosprogs\geolite
c:geolite
set path=%path%%;c:\junk;

I am trying to use geolite to convert a .raw file to a softdesk fbk file. 3
As you can see in the attachment, I need to browse to my folder c:\junk where the .raw file is located. Do you have any other ideas?

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox and geolite.png
    File size
    65.77 KiB
    Downloads
    138 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dosbox's PATH won't be able to see folders that aren't mounted within Dosbox.
You'll need to mount your c:\junk folder as a different drive letter (say D), to allow Dosbox to access it, then change the path to include this drive letter instead, and only then run your app:

mount c c:\dosprogs\geolite
mount d c:\junk
set path=%path%%;d:\;
c:
geolite

(I don't think the PATH statement is really needed in your case, just showing an example of usage within Dosbox)

Reply 4 of 6, by slc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, that worked! Maybe you can help me with the next step as well?
As you can see in the attachment, my next prompt in the program is to select a dictionary. I don't know if the geolite.dic (which is located at C:\dosprogs\geolite) is used somehow. I want to browse to my dictionary which is located at C:\junk. Do you know what I need to add to the command in order to do this?

Attachments

• Filename
    2nd attachment.png
    File size
    64.46 KiB
    Downloads
    147 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well, if you've followed the example in my previous post, then "C:\junk" is now known as "D:\" internally within DOSBox - if you change the current directory to that, you might find your file.

Other than that, I can only point you to the readme / wiki / internal help - I'd suggest reading up on the mount command and how mounted drives work; this is probably the most important thing to know for anyone planning to do anything with DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 6, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

mount c c:\dosprogs\geolite

Or the app expects to be in a sub folder "geolite" to find its dictionary, so try
mount c c:/dosprogs/
c:
cd geolite
geolite

Klimawandel.