VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I discovered this while trying to figure something else out.

You can use Dosbox to connect to telnet BBSes and you can do it using DOS dial-up terminal programs.

Here is how to do it, assuming you have a broadband Internet connection and that you connect through a network card:

1. Use Dosbox 0.73 -- which I prefer for telnet purposes. Download and install Winpcap, which is free and downloadable from www.winpcap.org..

2. Set up your network card using this approach:

Before you can access the NE2000 emulation function, you
have to tell DOSBox which REAL network card in your system
you want it to wrap to. In the dosbox.conf file [ne2000] section
you will see a line like this:

realnic=list

When that is set to "list," the DOSBox console window
will show you a numbered list of network adapters found
in your system. Remember the number of your network card
(usually 1 or 2).

Close Dosbox and re-open the dosbox.conf file, and change
the word "list" in the realnic line to the number of your
card.

Save dosbox.conf.

3. In the dosbox.conf [serial] section, change the serial1 line to serial1=modem listenport:23 -- start Dosbox and make sure the console tells you that the modem is listening on port 23. If not, something is wrong and you should go back to step 2.

4. Unzip your terminal software to a directory on your computer. (The Lync terminal program is attached to this post. It's a good program to use because its dial directory allows URLs in the phone number field. If you use lync30.zip, attached to this post, and you unzip it with Winzip, the files will go into c:\unzipped\lync30.)

5. In dosbox.conf add this to the autoexec section at the end:
mount c c:\unzipped\lync30 (use the correct path for your system)
ne2000.com 0x0060
c:
lync
NOTE: Checking this after I posted, I found that this process doesn't work without running the ne2000 driver. I'm adding that file below. Put it in the same directory as the lync files.

6. Start Dosbox and if you use Lync, configure the terminal as shown in the graphic.

lynccfg.JPG

Once you've completed that, you are ready to connect to a BBS. I humbly suggest you connect to

bluelobster.dyndns.org

because it's a pretty good board, it's completely free, and it belongs to me.

Attachments

• Filename
    ne2000.zip
    File size
    5.41 KiB
    Downloads
    347 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    LYNC30.ZIP
    File size
    64.98 KiB
    Downloads
    399 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Tark on 2011-07-15, 21:49. Edited 3 times in total.

Blue Lobster BBS
telnet://bluelobster.dyndns.org

Reply 1 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tark wrote:

You can use Dosbox to connect to telnet BBSes and you can do it using DOS dial-up terminal programs.

<snip>

The Lync terminal program is attached to this post. It's a good program to use because its dial directory allows URLs in the phone number field.

This sounds like a program substantially more advanced than the typical DOS dial-up terminal program.

Reply 2 of 28, by Tark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tark wrote: You can use Dosbox to connect to telnet BBSes and you can do it using DOS dial-up terminal programs. […]
Show full quote

Tark wrote:

<snip>

The Lync terminal program is attached to this post. It's a good program to use because its dial directory allows URLs in the phone number field.
This sounds like a program substantially more advanced than the typical DOS dial-up terminal program.

It isn't though. I used to use it back in the early 1990s, before anybody ever heard of a URL. I also used ProComm, which will also work. Those are the only two I've tried.

Blue Lobster BBS

Reply 3 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And does ProComm also allow URLs in the "phone number" field?

The fact that you have to tinker with DOSBox's emulated NIC at all very strongly suggests that both of these programs are using some kind of TCP/IP networking (yes, they had that in the early 1990's) rather than the Hayes modem commands supported by DOS dial-up software. Or perhaps we have different definitions of "dial-up". I also suspect that both of these programs will work without you having to alter the "serial1" line.

Get, say, RIPterm 1.54 working with a Telnet BBS and I'll be impressed. 😉

Reply 4 of 28, by Tark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The fact that you have to tinker with DOSBox's emulated NIC at all very strongly suggests that both of these programs are using some kind of TCP/IP networking (yes, they had that in the early 1990's) rather than the Hayes modem commands supported by DOS dial-up software. Or perhaps we have different definitions of "dial-up". I also suspect that both of these programs will work without you having to alter the "serial1" line.

My definition of dial-up software is software originally written for modems and telephone lines. You can see the AT commands in the screen capture in my original post and the first three letters of the modem initialization string on the black screen behind it.

I've read your post three times. My guess is you don't believe it really works. Try it. It is truly cool.

Blue Lobster BBS

Reply 5 of 28, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

And does ProComm also allow URLs in the "phone number" field?

Get, say, RIPterm 1.54 working with a Telnet BBS and I'll be impressed. 😉

I use Telix for DOS and it allows URLs in the phonebook.

DOSBox's manual states it has a modem emulator of sorts that does all the name resolution and TCP/IP calls. DOSBox does not have TCP/IP passthrough/encapsulation like it does for IPX. You can open a terminal program and type basic AT commands and see in the DOSBox console window that it received a command and it will respond back to the terminal.

Terminal programs were not written to watch the input for phone numbers specifically because they were used for more than just operating modems. They left it up to the communication device to report errors.

I have RIPTerm. It works fine with games that use RIP, like LORD.

Reply 6 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Huh. That is very interesting news to me. (Does that mean you can't use DOS web browsers within DOSBox?)

The key point is that the emulated DOSBox modem will successfully interpret ATDT[IP Address] – which means that even if the terminal program insists on numbers only in its phone number field, you can still connect to something by looking up its IP address and using that as a phone number (provided the IP address doesn't change much).

But if that's the case and the DOSBox emulated modem is taking care of everything doesn't that mean that the NE2000 emulation (which appears to require the Megabuild, if I'm not mistaken) is not necessary?

Reply 7 of 28, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very interesting. I'd like to connect to yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
How can it be made possible?
Port 23 seems to be blocked on the remote machine?
I couldn't even get the login prompt....
Sometimes XP Telnet allows me to connect automatically while doing it on the command prompt manually refuses so. Can anyone teach me about this?
Excuse me for the OT question here
Thanks
Jack

Reply 8 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lucky7456969 wrote:

Sometimes XP Telnet allows me to connect automatically while doing it on the command prompt manually refuses so.

Can you explain this a little more?

Reply 9 of 28, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When there is a direct link to open the connection from the browser, xp will automatically open a window and connect. But when I manually go to the command prompt, and type telnet xx.xx.xx.xx.
it won't work. Is it a port number problem? The same thing happens on lync, i can't connect to that host when using xmodem. Do I have to do some port forwarding on the router?
DHCP isn't perfectly suited for port forwarding?
Thanks
Jack

Reply 10 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lucky7456969 wrote:

When there is a direct link to open the connection from the browser, xp will automatically open a window and connect.

What does the direct link look like? Can you give an example?

i can't connect to that host when using xmodem

xmodem is a file transfer protocol (and a severely antiquated one at that) and is not particularly relevant here.

Reply 13 of 28, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But if that's the case and the DOSBox emulated modem is taking care of everything doesn't that mean that the NE2000 emulation (which appears to require the Megabuild, if I'm not mistaken) is not necessary?[/quote]

The NE2000 emulation is a TCP/IP passthrough for applications and games that look for a packet driver. A telnet program would have to be used with it instead of a terminal program.

Reply 14 of 28, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is it possible to use twinsock (ppp/slip) connection thru the virtual modem?
Have been trying with no luck
Anyone post any settings for twinsock in this case?
PLUS
The settings in lync to connect to that library?
Thanks
Jack

Reply 15 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lucky7456969 wrote:

is it possible to use twinsock (ppp/slip) connection thru the virtual modem?

It's probably not impossible, but if I understand correctly, you would need to connect to a specialized server with a very exotic configuration.

There is really no need for doing such a thing since if you want to run Internet applications within DOSBox, then as per the above, you can use the Megabuild with its ne2000 emulation.

The settings in lync to connect to that library?

What do you not understand? You set the phone number to 202.85.101.136 and chance the Listen port in dosbox.conf to 8604.

Reply 17 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But as we just discussed,
a) Only the Megabuild version of DOSBox has an emulated ne2000,
b) As the terminal applications you are trying to run are not actually Internet-aware, there is no need for the ne2000 anyway.

Or so it seems. Maybe it's high time I did take a swing at this.

EDIT: Confirmed. Lync works just fine with the official DOSBox 0.74 with the serial1 edited and does not care at all about the ne2000.

Reply 18 of 28, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the lync stuff, if you want to switch between bluelobster and the library. You have to make 2 com ports available, and switch to the one which is needed? Because the listenport parameter is exotic in dosbox.conf and can't be changed conveniently while you are working online?

Update: I follow your instruction, lync said time elapsed after trying the connection to the library....Any help please..

For the twinsick stuff, I have already been using megabuild,I tried to load the packet driver then the virtual packet driver. Setup IP address as static ip or bootp, dns as my isp dns, gateway as my router address, tried to tick the internal slip or none. But netscape 3.0 said there is no dns entry in the server.
What am I missing here?
Thanks
Jack

Reply 19 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oops, my bad. Having tried it now myself, you don't have to edit the listenport at all. Just input the phone number as 202.85.101.136:8604 and it seems to work.

lucky7456969 wrote:

For the twinsick stuff, I have already been using megabuild,I tried to load the packet driver then the virtual packet driver. Setup IP address as static ip or bootp, dns as my isp dns, gateway as my router address, tried to tick the internal slip or none. But netscape 3.0 said there is no dns entry in the server.
What am I missing here?

Are you trying to run Netscape 3.0 under Windows 3.11? If I'm not mistaken, Windows 3.11 doesn't care about the packet driver and you need to make sure your network settings in Windows 3.11 are correct.

EDIT: No, wait, you need the packet driver, but I don't think Twinsock will work – not unless you have the IP address of a host running "tshost". There's some instructions at http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17070 .

you can also browse the Internet by loading a ne2000 packet driver and installing Trumpet WinSock in Windows (run ne2000.com 0x65 3 0x300 and winpkt 0x65 before starting Windows). Don't install MS TCP/32, that won't work with plain DOSBox - you need to create a disk image with MS-DOS for that.

At any rate, this is something best discussed in another thread.