VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by j_semple

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This might seem a silly thing to ask but how the hell do you get your \ key to work via dosbox? My keyboard is fully working (it's a sony VAIO wireless keyboard) Is there any way I can solve this really simple problem?

Reply 1 of 10, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A friend of mine got the same problem. He can't use enter "\" except by entering it on the numblock. To do this just press ALT and hold it and enter 092 on the numblock and then release ALT.

I don't know if there a solution for this Problem but until there is one you can try this.

Hope you'll get help.
Vince

Reply 5 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

You could also try deleting your Microsoft eHome MCIR keyboard drivers in the device manager (all 3 of them) if you use Win7

h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Maybe have a look at the fine manual...

I always wanted to know why having a remote control plugged in the computer causes issues with DOSBox.

I just use D-Fend reloaded now, but I always wondered...

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

SDL

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 10, by Fullscreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the problem that the keyboard layout is wrong and that the backslash key returns a different character? In the original DOS, the computer would always start with a US English keyboard layout and use it until the KEYB command has been used to set a different one. Dosbox mirrors this feature (at least on Linux), so when I first used Dosbox, I got an American keyboard instead of a Swedish one. Luckily, the KEYB command also works in Dosbox, so you can change the keyboard layout to anything you want. For instructions, see: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/KEYB

If the keyboard layout is wrong, I suggest that you put a KEYB call in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file so that you automatically get the right layout when starting Dosbox.

Reply 9 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

this is the normal way to solve the problem but there is a deeper problem where the MS remote control or so is causing additional trouble 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 10, by Fullscreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried running the Windows version of Dosbox under Wine, but I can't reproduce it with a US keyboard layout: \ (scancodes 0x56 and 0xD6) works fine. On the other hand, the / key (scancodes 0x35 and 0xB5) is treated as a duplicate of the - key (scancodes 0xC and 0x8C), so I can't type / or ? with a US keyboard layout. When running Dosbox natively under Linux on the same computer, all keys seem to work fine.