VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Angus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ubuntu 10.04, to be exact. I installed the DOSBox that comes out of the "Universe" repository. My problems are 2-fold:

1. I seem to have problems calibrating my joystick for the game. I can't calibrate it properly for Wing Commander II. When I test the pointer on the title screen, it seems I can move it much faster right and down than I can left or up. However, when I run jstest on the host, it tells me that both axes are able to go from -(2^16 - 1) to 2^16 - 1. That looks like the maxima to me. Is there an in-program calibrator so that I can see the performance of my joystick in DOSBox?
  2. I'm able to move the pointer around normally (just a bit slow in some directions) but when I get into a cockpit and I move the stick in a certain direction, it only wants to stay there for a second, and then it returns to the centre. I think that might be the mouse's interference, since I do see a mouse cursor as well. Can I kill the mouse? This may be related to another problem I'm having with the joystick hijacking the mouse pointer in the host.

Reply 1 of 2, by Angus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, it didn't occur to me until just now to try the in-game calibration, as has any game worth playing. For posterity: I had to turn off "timed" in the "[joystick]" section of the conf file, or the calibration would fail.
I'm not ready to declare this thread solved, however, because I still have that problem with interference with the mouse. I still need to disable the mouse to play this game, which I don't know how to do, unless I can fix the problem on the host.