VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Angus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble with these blips in the running of the emulator even before a program is running. These manifest themselves as micro interruptions in the music or sound (obviously only when a game is running) or even a brief horizontal line across the screen, as though the video card was interrupted in mid-refresh!
I've been through http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Performance but the solutions don't work, and sometimes even create new problems.
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on a P4 2.8GHz dual core.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure it's not something external to DOSBox that is part of your Linux installation? A good way to check would be to use a Live CD; I'm not sure if any of them come with DOSBox pre-installed, but it's easy enough to set up.

Reply 2 of 4, by Angus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess I'm not. Which distro do you recommend I make a live cd of?
BTW, I forgot to mention that I cranked up the priority of the DOSBox process to the max. It seemed to help a bit, but not enough.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Angus wrote:

Which distro do you recommend I make a live cd of?

I have no idea, but I doubt "making" a live CD is necessary given that there's so many pre-made ones out there.

How about Knoppix? Apparently it even includes DOSBox already.

Reply 4 of 4, by Angus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the Knoppix live cd boldly calls itself experimental, so I went back to good ol' Suse.
There might be something in what you say. I used their native 0.74 and I hardly got any blips. However, I was running a much lower resolution. Unfrotunately, to install DOSBox on that live system I have to install >600Mb of crap, so each reboot is very costly.
I then came back to Ubuntu and built a 0.74 from source. That didn't seem to do anything. I guess there's something wrong w/this stupid system 🙁
Ubuntu doesn't seem to be everything it's cracked up to be.