VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Motherboard: Not Sure (runs Dual BIOS though)
Processor type and speed: p4/2.4ghz
Amount and type of RAM: 512MB DDR
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: Nvidia GeForce4 MX440/64MB
Sound board:AC97 Onboard
Operating system: XP Pro
Game name (and version, if applicable): FC Demos
Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.): Always
Version 0.60
Steps already attempted to solve the problem:
- made sure EMS/XMS enabled
-

You can't really call yourself a dos enthusiast unless you've ever heard of future crew and other great demo groups of the old scene. I tried running a few demos today, a lot of them didn't have sound. If you can get sound to work in these demos then I can guarantee about 95% of your sound issues will be solved.

http://www.phreak.org/index/archive02/load/load.shtml

go look through that archive devs, you'll find a plethora of old scene demos, check out unreal and panic by future crew, I'm thinking that part of the reason sound isn't working in either is that you might also need the SET SOUND=C:\SB16 (or wherever) environment variable, that may require some drivers not sure.

Kudos to you guys btw for actually having working adlib that is awesome!!

- sinister x [acid]

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may need to try out one of the CVS releases. As someone else has posted on this same forum, most demos now work with latest CVS. I tested them myself. I tried about 10 of them and i think i managed to get 9 out of 10 working.

Reply 2 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

Aye yes most do. But I just tested Unreal Demo from that link above. Me being a future crew fan as well. SoundBlaster Normal support was excelent, but when i choose soundblaster pro to see the difference.
Ugh. It was very choppy in both speakers very bad looping and echoing i guess you could say in the latest CVS Build. I dunno if it's any different in the other builds but i doubt it.

Ieremiou

Reply 4 of 7, by sinistrx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone got a copy of the latest CVS build already compiled? I have tried to compile it but am having lots of probs in VS2003. I am missing .lib files for libpng and zlib and somehow can't get either to compile straight from the source. Not really keen on going through all of that just to be able to play demos.

Reply 5 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I compiled CVS from 3. December without problems in VS2003. There are many warnings but not fatal errors.
As for libpng, zlib etc. - you need to get them separately (they are not part of DOSBOX) and put headers (*.h) and libraries (*.lib) in proper places where VC20003 can find them.
If you cannot compile yourself, download RJPA binaries (see thread in Development forum)

Mirek