VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do I create and use floppy images for use in DOSBox? Is there a way to compress information on them other than using an executable compressor (UPX) or an archive compressor (PKZIP or RAR)? Thank you.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 1 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a tool called WinImage

also, almost any image from a typical floppying copying program will be mountable

If you really need them compressed, make use of your NTFS disk compression.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 14, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you. I'll look at it later. BTW, I'm not ready to install WinMount. Can I get a real NTFS-formatted floppy on WinXP/Vista? I formatted a few disks and the option wasn't there. Besides that, NTFS compression is poor, and I want a better way to compress files.

Reply 4 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no such thing as an NTFS-formatted floppy. Long, long ago (before they were bought by Microsoft) SysInternals used to provide a utility that could format floppy disks as NTFS, purely as a proof-of-concept; the conclusion was that it is pointless to use the NTFS file system on a floppy disk due to the frequent disk access required by the filesystem and due to the tremendous overhead required (drastically reducing the amount of free space available on the disk).

In other words, if you're trying to save hard disk space, using NTFS-formatted floppy images won't help you at all. And, of course, DOS cannot access NTFS-formatted floppy disks so there is no point in trying to use such things with DOSBox.

Why the heck would you want to use compressed images anyway!? If you cannot spare 1.4 MB of hard disk space, you should get a larger hard drive, sir!

P.S. Starting many new threads at the same time is generally frowned upon.
P.P.S. In case you haven't noticed, no one else is using colored text. Mr. Leileilol is subtly mocking your style. You are engaging in a highly unconventional practice that is making your posts more difficult to read, and you should stop doing that.

Reply 5 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Subtly? 😉

But seriously your questions are odd. Maybe start out with what your goal is, what you want to achieve.
In regards to floppy usage with Dosbox, the usual point to mount a floppy is to install something from it. Usually an old game, so that comes on a floppy already (or on an image if you made a copy of your original floppy).
Why go to the trouble of creating floppy images to store new stuff on them? The answer to that is your real problem and probably something we can solve better.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 14, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry. 🙁 Lately, I've been on a compression kick and desire to compress everything. Besides that, I want to put stuff on floppies for older computers (486/VGA laptop, Dell Win98/P2 PC) and desire to make as much room available as possible.

Reply 7 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're using these floppies with older computers and not with DOSBox, then the matter is entirely irrelevant to this forum, sir.

By the way, there are various utilities that can format a floppy disk such that its capacity is larger than the standard 1.44 MB, but of course such disks are no longer directly readable by DOS (or anything else) without a TSR or something of that nature, and I imagine they're more vulnerable to data corruption, too.

Reply 9 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As Mr. Dominus pointed out, there is generally not much point to using floppy images, and it would help if you could start out with what your goal is and what you want to achieve.

Reply 10 of 14, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do I format and use high-capacity floppies (i.e. >1.4MB) under Win32? I have 2M, but it only works for DOS. I want it for Win32 and have Win98, WinXP and WinVista. Besides that, floppy images would help me organize data to put on floppies more effectively before actually putting it there. I have several computers that use floppies and go to a program where I'm only allowed to use floppies and CD-RW--it won't allow me to install anything on the hard drive.

Reply 11 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See, now you're actually giving out details about what you're trying to do! This is progress!

Unfortunately, it also doesn't have the slightest thing to do with DOSBox anymore.

Harry Potter wrote:

How do I format and use high-capacity floppies (i.e. >1.4MB) under Win32? I have 2M, but it only works for DOS. I want it for Win32 and have Win98, WinXP and WinVista.

There probably isn't a way.

It looks like Virtual Floppy Drive comes with a utility capable of formatting images in the 1.68 or 1.72 MB DMF format.

Besides that, floppy images would help me organize data to put on floppies more effectively before actually putting it there.

I suggest you use ordinary folders like the rest of the world.

I have several computers that use floppies and go to a program where I'm only allowed to use floppies and CD-RW--it won't allow me to install anything on the hard drive.

Then there is NO point in talking about 2M or DMF or anything of that nature, because those computers will not be able to access those floppies.

Reply 12 of 14, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just want to share information with my mother's computers. One such has a USB drive but two don't. Besides, if I put them on a flash drive, I can't use them at my program. I plan to run software in compressed format under DOSBox on several computers. It is not necessary that I do this, but I like to see more free hard drive space. 😀

Reply 13 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

if you feel like hurting yourself...
Why the need to ask a couple of times before you actually give the information you should have given in the first place? Not that we can help you further with this topic, but in the future, it helps if you be more precise in what you want to achieve...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper