VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Colo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am asking me, if it would be possible, to use DosBox together with an old commercial game on a cd.
I bought the old sierra compilations of Police Quest, Space Quest and so on. They also uses DosBox with the, to run them on the newer OS.

So I got the rights of an old game and want to re publish it on cd and over the web in the next month, and with DosBox it should work pretty good.

Best, Colo

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You got the publishing rights?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by Colo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes. I got the publishing rights of an old game, which works perfectly with DosBox. I didn't mean, that I own the rights of the compilations above, that was only an example of using old games commercial with DosBox. It is another old game.

Reply 3 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Put the sourcecode of dosbox also on that CD and you have most things covered. Of course I am no lawyer and you should really check out our license yourself.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, sorry, read to fast and not closely enough.
As qbix wrote, check the license to be sure but you need to pay 99% of your game publishing income to Dosbox.
Kidding, you don't need to pay anything (GPL) but I think some donation would be appropiate and a nice gesture (I'm not a dosbox developer - I wouldn't get anything 😉)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper