VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HappyLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems like dosbox on android lacks any kind of midi support.. Is there any reason for this?

When looking up one of the emulators I used It says that the feature was purposely disabled for some reason (http://sinfulandroid.com/android-poster-secti … d-apk-app-4124/) Does this have something to do with the GPL license or has no one just felt like implementing this?

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Support for andosbox needs to be given by the andosbox author. Vogons is not the place. My guess would be that Androids lack a midi backend. Dosbox' midi is played by the hosts midi device.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by HappyLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, just to clarify I'm not really looking for support, just wondering if there was a known reason it has never been done, if it be lack of hardware of something beyond that preventing it. Also any kind of support thru an author of one of these things is almost pointless as they seem to all stop supporting/updating them for a while now.

Does DosBoxes midi always play thru the hosts midi device or are there any known builds that don't, and actually emulate it instead? Are all modern computers still even built with midi devices in them?

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

all modern computers still have midi AFAIK, probably all modern Windows versions have a basic Roland midi emulation built in - I think. It can be emulated through timiditiy or fluidsynth. Mt32 devices can be emulated via munt. BUT emulation takes it toll as it sucks a lot of cpu power.
Why anosboy doesn't have it is just a guess. If you really want to know... right ask andosbox author.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 8, by HappyLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So he responded, and pretty told me what you said dominus. Its not impossible but without the backend its very hard so its something that we might not be seeing anytime soon... or at least me. Thanks for the help guys.

Reply 8 of 8, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks HappyLemons, Dominus and aqrit, I was curious about this as well. DOS emulation is still a work in progress on Android but I'm still surprised at the number of things it can run, mostly things requiring a 386-25 or under. Anything beyond that is choppy or won't run at all. The same things I've tested fine in WinDOSBox.

EDIT

It appears Dominus is correct, most modern computers have a software emulated synthesizer. Both mine have Realtek HD Audio which has sw synth. I guess it's better than no midi at all.