VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SepticLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there, long time no write...

I've been getting back into my DOS games again, and cracked opened a classic, Dungeon Keeper. I made the conf file, and everything worked fine until something weird happened with the scaler...

dkscreen1.png

The Menus are totally fine, I have a preferance in playing games in full screen, using my monitor's resolution 1920*1080, and scaling the graphics 2X.

dkscreen2.png

However... when it come to actually playing the game, it shrinks down to it's original resolution, but when you go back to the menus, they're back to 2X again.

Here's my conf file is people are interested, could their been anything that I'm missing? Much appreciated if you do spot something!

[sdl]
fullresolution = desktop
fullscreen = true
[cpu]
cputype = pentium_slow
[render]
aspect = false
scaler = normal2x forced
[autoexec]
mount C D:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\GAMES\DungeonKeeper\HDD\
mount D D:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\GAMES\DungeonKeeper\CD\ -t cdrom
C:
cd KEEPER
KEEPER.EXE
EXIT

Reply 1 of 7, by SepticLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I think I know what I'm doing wrong, I figured out that the screen resolution in menus are much bigger than the game play screen resolution. Meaning that if I force the whole game to run on 2X I'm doubling the resolution for menus and the game, but the difference in resolution is a the issue.

Here's my new conf file.

[sdl]
fullresolution = desktop
fullscreen = true
[cpu]
cputype = pentium_slow
[render]
aspect = false
scaler = normal3x
[autoexec]
C:
cd KEEPER
KEEPER.EXE
EXIT

I'm no using the 3X scaler, but I was still not keen with the screen size, so I did this...

[sdl]
fullresolution = 960 x 540
fullscreen = true
[cpu]
cputype = pentium_slow
[render]
aspect = false
scaler = normal3x
[autoexec]
C:
cd KEEPER
KEEPER.EXE
EXIT

By halving the screen full screen resolution the game play comes up at almost full screen, though being the nit picky git I am I'd rather be using my screen's actually resolution so that I don't have to put up with my LCD screen's dithering. So as a laugh I tried this out!

[sdl]
fullresolution = desktop
fullscreen = true
[cpu]
cputype = pentium_slow
[render]
aspect = false
scaler = normal4x
[autoexec]
C:
cd KEEPER
KEEPER.EXE
EXIT

4X scaling! hehe! and yes, it doesn't exist, so it reverted itself back to 2X scaling. Guess I can't win them all unless someone can show me how I can play Dungeon Keeper at near full screen with no dithering without small game play screens.

Reply 2 of 7, by SepticLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the powers of the internet and Google, I discovered that you can change the game's resolution by holding alt and pressing r. Thisswitches the game into SVGA mode!

So going back to my old conf file, here's the result!

dkscreen5.png

Hurrah!

Though I did notice something... If you start a new game, it'll go back to VGA, in order to keep the SVGA mode, I had to save this game and keep loading it to play in that resolution, clicking on the "Continue" button on the front menu makes you play the game in VGA again. Annoying, I wish there was something to force the the game to play in SVGA.

Reply 4 of 7, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what's your output= setting? have you tried changing it? what's your GPU?

A "normal4x" (and possibly 5x) setting would be a welcome thing for DOSBox to have, given today's common monitor resolutions. I'm guessing you use Windows, so as a workaround, you could try one of the builds at http://ykhwong.x-y.net/, and combine the normal2x shader with a further 2x integer pixelshader... if you know what you're doing.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 7, by SepticLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, well after fiddling with that Alt+R to change the screen resolution, now even when I play a new game it sticks with SVGA, so right now I'm happy with it!

New problem though, Theme Park. It has a similar issue, I like to play it in SVGA, to fill the screen in 2X scaler, which I can do by pressing "r" in the game. Thing is, I have to keep pressing "r" each time I play the game. Does anyone now how to save resolution settings in Theme Park?

Reply 6 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You use output=overlay. This mode don't resize high- and truecolor videomodes.
Change to output=ddraw or output=openglnb.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 7, by SepticLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

You use output=overlay. This mode don't resize high- and truecolor videomodes.
Change to output=ddraw or output=openglnb.

Ok, those worked on Dungeon Keeper, but not on Theme Park.

Any reason why?