VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any equivalent to Ctrl + C for the dir command, so I can don't have to go the bottom of the list every time? Right now I have to press a key 14 times before I can get to the bottom and write things, and by then I have forgotten what to write, or didn't know exactly how it was spelled.

My AdLib recordings

Reply 1 of 8, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Teppic,

well I don't know any way to stop that, but if you don't need things like the date of the files, just type

DIR /W /P

With this you'll list pages AND way more than 23 or 24 entries at the same time.

Hope that'll help you.

Regards
Vince

Reply 3 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First of all what is the purpose of dir/p you're using for?

Unless there are hundreds and hundreds of files and/or drectories from the position where you're typing dir/p, it shouldn't take THAT long.

If it is, it's time to clean up the directories. Maintain parent directories with relevant subdirectories.

But it's all back to square one again - what is the purpose you're using that for....

If you just want to browse your hard drive, use the DOSZIP commander which comes with the D-Fend Reloaded Package (or any other freeware downloadable dos shell interface)to browse your disk.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 8, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's also not forget that dir supports wildcard filters. Remember the first letter of the filename(s) you need to remember...

dir <that letter>*.* /p

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 6 of 8, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgot I posted this :) I know about dir /w /p , but for me it's much easier to read everything in one long list, that's why I not using it. Even with dir /w /p the screen can't cover all and I have to go through three screens.

Malik wrote:

But it's all back to square one again - what is the purpose you're using that for....

If you just want to browse your hard drive, use the DOSZIP commander which comes with the D-Fend Reloaded Package (or any other freeware downloadable dos shell interface)to browse your disk.

Just browsing my collection of games or various shareware CD's. It doesn't make any sense for me to have multiple sub-directories. I have a pretty good memory and remember what I named pretty much all directories. What I don't always remember is all games that I have.

I don't like the interface's of various DOS Shells, and they would only slow me down. I might seem a bit backwards here, but using DOS Shells isn't for me :)

collector wrote:

Why not just use your host OS's file manager?

It just takes me longer time to start a file manager and look for the directory where I locate my DOS games, and then going back and forth with DOSBox than just using DOSBox.

My AdLib recordings

Reply 7 of 8, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a thought for you:
-Insert your CD.
-Mount your CD in dosbox.
-If under Windows, open cmd.exe, if Linux or OS X (or similar) open your favourite command shell.
-Change to the drive (or mount folder) and dir /p or ls | less...
There you go...a list...that can be cancelled.

Reply 8 of 8, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, but you don't have to give me any more tips. I just wanted to check if there was some function or hotkey I didn't know about, or if it was something that had been added recently.

My AdLib recordings