VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eldergamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to put DosBox on my thumb drive. This in itself isn't an issue. I can drag, drop, and use DosBox already on a thumb. What I can't do is set anything in the conf. From system to system my thumb drive changes drive letters. This plays heck with trying to automate things. For example: One of my favorite games is Scorched. What I would like to do is make a shortcut that engages DosBox and runs the game in full screen. While this is possible with a normal installed version of DosBox it's not so easy when your drive letters change from z: to g: to I: then back to z: again.

By the way these are not my machines. Just wanted to let you know that before you explain how to keep the drive letters that same by setting it on each machine. I don't have the admin rights on 2 of them. Besides my original question was about making DosBox truly portable.

Any idea's ?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use D-Fend reloaded. It support installation into PortableApps.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 5, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Surely you can launch Dosbox with a relative path to it's configuration file?
Say you have three directories on your usb/thumb/flash/removeable drive ('exe', 'conf' and 'games', with dosbox.exe inside 'exe', your configuration inside 'conf' and your installed games in, well, 'games'), surely you could use something like:

exe\dosbox -conf "..\conf\myconf.conf"

Mounts also seem to work with a relative path, so:

mount c ..\games

Then that should work anywhere, as you're not referring directly to any drive letters.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And if you put a config in dosbox' folder named dosbox.conf dosbox will use that instead of any other

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper