VOGONS

Common searches

Out of String Space Error 14

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Hotrum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need to run QBasic-generated executable files on Win7 64-bit computers. I've been told that DOSbox is my only hope! However when I try to run these within DOSbox I'm getting "Error 14 - Out of String Space".

I've increased DOSbox's memory to 32 and 63 MB but still cannot run these executables. I even attempted to run the BAS files within QBasic but got the same error.

Can DOSbox be configured to get around this problem?

Is there any way to run these programmes on a Win7 64-bit computer?

Thanks for any help.

Reply 1 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrom … of+string+space

Looks like that's a message related to trying to allocate beyond what is allowed in a variable - it appears to be a qbasic limitation, rather than dos, so I don't think increasing the memory allocated to dosbox will help.

I'm sure someone more familiar with qbasic in dosbox will be able to offer more help!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hotrum wrote:

I need to run QBasic-generated executable files on Win7 64-bit computers.
I even attempted to run the BAS files within QBasic but got the same error.

There are updated QBasic-compatible Windows-native Basic interpreters, if I'm not mistaken. Since you still have the BAS files, maybe they'd be worth a try. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBASIC comes to mind.

Reply 5 of 6, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hotrum wrote:

I need to run QBasic-generated executable files on Win7 64-bit computers. I've been told that DOSbox is my only hope! However when I try to run these within DOSbox I'm getting "Error 14 - Out of String Space".

I've increased DOSbox's memory to 32 and 63 MB but still cannot run these executables. I even attempted to run the BAS files within QBasic but got the same error.

I use DOSBox under XP. I have a couple of utilities that I wrote in QBASIC. One of them runs in DOSBox just fine. (The other needs a printer.) I have never seen a string space error. QBASIC would not be able to use that much memory anyway.

Short of a
error 14
I do not know how I would get an error 14.

What do the programs do? What compilation options do you use?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 6 of 6, by Hotrum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The programs read in poorly-written HTML files, fix coding errors, eliminate deprecated code, create replacement XHTML files along with newly-created CSS files, and then upload them to the websites replacing the original files.
BTW, some lines in these original files are over 100,000 characters long!

Jorpho suggested I try other interpreters (thanks Jorpho) and I discovered that FreeBasic choked on a module that performed random inputs into a maximum sized string buffer -- but QBasic 71 was quite happy with this!

Discovering that, I decided to rewrite that module to use sequential I/O instead. I've just finished debugging the new module's code but haven't yet had time to try it within DOSbox. Hopefully things will work better this time.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Cheers! -- Dave (Toronto, Ont)