VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by yannara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...configuration file was created inside dosbox program folder itself, not under profile? Latest version creates it under user profile, and I need for a special use the dosbox to generate that configuration file under the program itself? Does anyone remember, when this function was changed?

Fan of Doom, Mortal Kombat, Duke, Blood

Reply 1 of 22, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox.conf in the same folder as dosbox.exe will override the user profile one. So you can still use that if you prefer that.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 22, by yannara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

dosbox.conf in the same folder as dosbox.exe will override the user profile one. So you can still use that if you prefer that.

Awsome, thank you very much! 😀

So because in the default dosbox folder there is no .conf file, I should copy it from a profile folder?

Reply 3 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want it in the DOSBox folder then yes.

It's probably best to generate a new one so:

1. Launch DOSBox as Administrator.
2. Inside dosbox type "config -wc dosbox.conf".
3. Check DOSBox folder for "dosbox.conf".
4. Make sure you give yourself write permissions to the file so you can edit it. IMPORTANT

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 22, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:

dosbox.conf in the same folder as dosbox.exe will override the user profile one.

That caught me out good on OSX.

I didn't notice that a DOSBox.conf had been created in /Applications, and I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why it wouldn't use the one in my home directory.

Is there a way to get DOSBox to echo which config file is currently in use, if you don't have the console enabled?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 22, by yannara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, whatever I do, it always creates .conf file under user profile in Windows 7. I have a wanted configuration inside C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox-0.74.conf but it still launches another one from user profile. Deleting dosbox folder under userprofile does not help.

Or am I missing here something?

Reply 8 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC the shortcut that DOSBox installs uses the -userconf parameter. You'll need to remove that if you want to use that shortcut or create a new one.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wd: by default you don't get to see the console when starting the app bundle on OS X and there is no good way around it. The console ouput is ligged by OS X' console.app OR you have to start the dosbox binary in the app bundle which the normal user is probably not knowledgable enough. But I think dosbox readme says how to do it.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 22, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wd wrote:

That's exactly what the console is for. Is it off by default in OSX?

Basically, yeah. It doesn't open a separate console window if you double-click the bundle through Finder in /Applications

But, if you launch DOSBox from the command line, then it will output to the terminal window you started from:

SquallBookPro:MacOS squallstrife$ pwd
/Applications/DOSBox.app/Contents/MacOS
SquallBookPro:MacOS squallstrife$ ./DOSBox
DOSBox version 0.74
Copyright 2002-2010 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /Users/squallstrife/Library/Preferences/DOSBox 0.74 Preferences
MIDI:Opened device:coreaudio

The thing that was catching me out, though, is that when you double-click the bundle, "/Applications" is the current directory, and it was picking up the conf file from there; but then when I used the command line, "/Applications/DOSBox.app/Contents/MacOS" was the current directory, and the correct conf file was picked up.

Took me ages to figure out that there was a dosbox.conf in /Applications, because it showed up with the same icon as my text editor. Sneaky bugger.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 22, by yannara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Try dosbox.conf and also use a full admin account to avoid any sort of virtual storage of the program files directory contents.

Okay thanks, now I got it working. The .conf file really needs to be named dosbox, not dosbox-0.74. And now it does not create anything under user profile, super!

Reply 12 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Took me ages to figure out that there was a dosbox.conf in /Applications

I suppose one way around this would be putting the used location somewhere in the intro text (this may or may not be a stupid idea...).

Reply 13 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think this would be a nice idea.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 22, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

2. Inside dosbox type "config -wc dosbox.conf".

I recently noticed that behavior in SVN builds has altered somewhat; using config -wc dosbox.conf always creates the conf file in AppData instead of the DOSbox.exe directory; seems -wcp is the required param to create conf files in the DOSbox.exe directory, now. What is the reason for this change (it breaks DBGL, and I guess other front-ends might break as well)? Would it be possible for the -wc param to behave as in DOSBox 0.74, and use another param for creating a conf in AppData?

Reply 15 of 22, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

I recently noticed that behavior in SVN builds has altered somewhat; using config -wc dosbox.conf always creates the conf file in AppData instead of the DOSbox.exe directory; seems -wcp is the required param to create conf files in the DOSbox.exe directory, now. What is the reason for this change (it breaks DBGL, and I guess other front-ends might break as well)? Would it be possible for the -wc param to behave as in DOSBox 0.74, and use another param for creating a conf in AppData?

UAC problem in Windows Vista / 7. By default, DOSBox cannot write dosbox.conf itself to C:\Program Files\DOSBox\ while UAC is being turned on.

Reply 16 of 22, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With UAC on if it did not direct to the LocalAppData\DOSBox folder it would probably end up in the Virtual Store.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 17 of 22, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your responses guys. I understand that UAC might influence this behavior, though in DOSBox 0.74 config -wc dosbox.conf _will_ write the configuration to the DOSBox.exe folder if the user has the rights to. I understand that it is good practice to use the AppData folder for user data, but I would merely suggest that the old behavior is used for the '-wc' flag (if the user has the rights to write a config to that disk location), and the 'improved' behavior with another flag.

Reply 18 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think rather the frontends should go with the changing times. Writing and using user data in the app folder is a big no these days and it won't change anymore.
I think Dosbox devs are right to go this way.
If you want to keep using the app folder you need to tell your users to do manual work.

Reply 19 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If it breaks frontends these should change their behaviour. If they don't change it's a good sign that the frontend is abandoned anyway