VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Wiki

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The DOSBox Wiki "create account" -> "more info" capcha page (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sp … o=Help:Contents)

is a blank page. No registration is possible

I see that DOSBox was registering 50 to 100 new members until the end of January last year (2011). Then everything stopped. New registrations went to ZERO for the rest of the year. Perhaps this is the reason?

Reply 1 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

works for me

Edit: sorry, misread. yes the more info page shows a blank page.
*BUT* the info is right below that line and tells you where to get the captcha password

Last edited by Dominus on 2012-04-01, 22:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

and apparently there have been people able to register http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sp … Changes&days=30
And for the most part of 2011 the wiki was in read only state because of spam bots vandalism.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Again, check your attitude... It's meant to fight spammers and to enable intelligent people to post.
Now try to think where you might have seen a forum for dosbox with several sections where one is called "dosbox development". Or much easier, go to dosbox.com and click on the forum link... Got it? When you get it, please don't vandalize the wiki...

Last edited by Dominus on 2012-04-02, 02:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
hoserjoe wrote:
Dominus wrote:

and apparently there have been people able to register

Only about a dozen in the last year, down from ~100/mo in 2010.

as I wrote, most part of 2011 the wiki was read only because the ~100/mo were spamners that vandalized the wiki. Better a few that pass the intelligent test than a thousand spammers.
What are you fighting for? What's your beef?

Reply 7 of 15, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Better a few [users] that pass the intelligent test than a thousand spammers.

With a lot of headscratching, I finally passed the intelligence test and got registered. Now I can log in to the Wiki. But after logging in, there's no {Edit] buttons on the text of the articles. Is there another intelligence test?

Reply 9 of 15, by bvanevery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree that the instructions are too vague. I merely wanted to add some helpful info to the wiki on how to run Might and Magic II. For awhile, I thought the wiki was for the program DOS, not DOSBox. I did not know whether I would need to transform the letters in place, or concatenate the original word with a transformed word. I did not know whether case sensitivity was important or not.

I got through it, but I know you're creating too much of a barrier for various busy people to be helpful with wiki maintenance. Please provide more clues / verbiage as to the expected result. Why should any casual passer-by spend 20 minutes chasing all this stuff down? You say "well you got through it," but I did it in order to communicate my results here, so that others may be spared pain. I assure you others don't care that much and don't follow through.

Also, why is the wiki asking for a password for edits even when I'm logged in? That's excessive.

Reply 10 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's either a barrier for real persons or a useless wiki full of spam. What would you prefer?
How could you think the wiki was for the program dos? The main wiki page does explicitly say what it is about http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page
Also, AFAIK there is no program called dos.

Reply 12 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

if it took you twenty minutes you did something wrong...
the instructions are very specific:
- go to the dosbox development forum (copy/paste in google, first hit -> 30 seconds top)
- scan the topics for wiki (5th topic) and read it -> 60 seconds
- for what program is the DOSBOX wiki? Hmmmmm, if you thought it is DOS, then that is unfortunate but nothing that can be helped with (5 seconds)
- figuring out what the next character in the alphabet could be -> let's say 120 seconds to be generous
- entering the word in the wiki login creation page -> 20 seconds

-> 235 seconds, almost 4 minutes. So even if it took you 20 minutes (which I really can't imagine) it still beats a manual moderation of the Wiki sign ups -> my estimation a day to a week until you get your login. I don't think there is any other way of handling this. Either make it hard and keep the spammers outside or make it manual moderation.
OR as it happened before the Wiki was closed down for editing because the fight against spam was too time consuming.

And do you want the few active developers of Dosbox spend their time cleaning up the Wiki because you couldn't figure the login out or do you want to have them work on Dosbox?

Also, why is the wiki asking for a password for edits even when I'm logged in? That's excessive.

fight spam....

Reply 15 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He meant to reply to Wiki login but not only can't he figure out the wiki password, he also can't hit reply 😉