VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Eminutia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I needed to edit a .conf file in Windows 7, and when I tried to save it, it said access was denied. What gives?

Reply 1 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UAC. Either disable it thru control panel, or work around it by copying the conf file to the desktop, edit it from there and save, then copy back to the original location.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If this is about dosbox, then placing the conf files in a place you have rights to is prefered. Dosbox 0.74 uses a safe place for its main conf because of this.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you remove locks from your doors as well because your house was once broken into?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

or because you've seen other houses with locks broken into 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by Eminutia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, what I do is just remove my cable, turn UAC off, restart, make changes, turn it back on, insert cable, restart computer. If things in life were this simple...

Reply 8 of 9, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Click Start, in the search box type "notepad" and when it comes up with Notepad as a suggestion, press Control-Shift-Enter to launch it with Administrator credentials. Click OK on the UAC popup. Use Notepad's File -> Open to navigate to the .conf file, make your changes, and save. This assumes you have Admin rights on the machine.

Reply 9 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if you rename the config file then write one through DOSBox it'll save it deep into your virtualstore appdata folder instead, where files go if they can't write in the real place.

apsosig.png
long live PCem