VOGONS

Common searches

Printing from DOSBox

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 41, by rodcarty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using DOSbox megabuild you can map USB and network print queues like in the original DOS.
DOS has the net use command to map an LPT port to a network-shared printer.
For local USB printers you share the printer then map it to an LPT port like this:
net use LPT1 \\comp_name\ptr_share_name
In megabuild it's like this in the config file:
printer1=\\comp_name\ptr_share_name
This maps LPT1 for the DOS program running in DOSbox.

Reply 21 of 41, by RepWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All, New to the forums and very thankful for the information you provided. Very helpful! I use an old program called Q&A from the late 1980's and early 1990's. It is a database program originally created by Symantec. DosBox Mega has been a lifesaver and your instructions, especiallly ripsaw8080, have helped me.

My new issue is that I can't print addresses on envelopes because they come out perpendicular to the envelope. I looked under the configuration file and it defines paper as 8.5 x 11 which I think is the problem. Can there be 2 different sizes - one for standard paper and one for envelopes - so that I can print both sizes?

Reply 23 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RepWolf wrote:

I looked under the configuration file and it defines paper as 8.5 x 11 which I think is the problem. Can there be 2 different sizes - one for standard paper and one for envelopes - so that I can print both sizes?

Perhaps you should rephrase your question, as I'm not clear what you're getting at. Alternatively, why don't you rotate your envelopes when you put them in your printer?

I'm not sure how old your program is, but in the olden days of non-graphical printing, printing rotated text just wasn't possible.

P.S. Megabuild 6 is now considerably out of date and you may want to consider the SVN Daum version, which has mostly the same patches.

Reply 24 of 41, by RepWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Jorpho, Thank you for your quick response. I will try rotating the envelope and see if it works. However, under "real" dos the envelopes print out fine. For now, I have been using Windows XP dos to run Q&A. "Real" Dos also works under Windows 7 32 bit (which is amazing that a 25 year old program works on it) but I can't get it full screen so my solution has been DosBox.

I will also look into the SVN Daum version. Thanks again. Will keep the board updated in case anyone finds a similar issue.

Reply 25 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC XP drivers work on Windows 7 and will allow you to run command prompt full-screen.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 26 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RepWolf wrote:

However, under "real" dos the envelopes print out fine.

Do you have an option to select your printer driver somewhere in the program? Do you have the same printer selected in DOSBox that you have selected when you run the program under real DOS?

Reply 28 of 41, by seventh678

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Halo guys and mod

about dosbox megabuild 6

Can anyone help me with the link of dosbox megabuild 6 (that can print in dos) , i can not find that software anymore, the link is death,
Anyone can help me ? please mail me the software in just.onez80@gmail.com.

thanks befaore and after

Reply 30 of 41, by seventh678

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank for suggestion Mr. Collector

I find vDos and try it, i think is easy to use, but the result of print out is to small (maybe 75% from normal / 100%) , so the print result not full fill my Form exactly, any suggestion ?

thanks

Reply 33 of 41, by seventh678

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Halo Mr. Jorpho + Mr.JosSchaars

Thanks for suggestion, PDF printer i will try it latter, i think we can play around vdos configuration or setting for a while, anyone know setting for vdos to change scale and font ? i try too but nothing change.

sorry for my bad english

Reply 35 of 41, by seventh678

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Halo Mr.JosSchaars

thanks for suggestion, i already read it, and finally i just write on the config.txt on my folder document that i use to print out (i mean config.txt must copy to folder that i working for) i put LPT1 = RAW in config.txt, and everything is OK, when i print out, it is like i want to be, Normal Print.
Thanks for any kind suggestion and help Guys...

Reply 36 of 41, by drdbc54

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a different wrinkle:

I installed Windows 3.1 inside of DosBox and amazingly it works!

Now I am having trouble printing. I am running Quattro Pro for windows in Windows 3.1 but can't figure out how to print.

I am already using DOSBox SVN-Daum, but there is some essential step that I am missing.

Any suggestions?

Reply 37 of 41, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try vdos

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 38 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
drdbc54 wrote:

I am already using DOSBox SVN-Daum, but there is some essential step that I am missing.

Any suggestions?

Without knowing what steps you have taken or what results you are seeing, the best anyone here can do is randomly guess.