VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sojourner7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In regards to the configuration file "MACHINE=" option, the DosBox Wiki (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf) says:

"svga_s3 (vga on DOSBox 0.71 and 0.72) is SVGA (Super Video Graphics Array): A loose standard designed to allow graphics modes superior to that of VGA. This option emulates an S3 Trio64, one of the most compatible SVGA cards, supporting 256 colors at up to 1600x1200 and full (32- or 24-bit) color at up to 1024x768."

Is there any way to specify one of those resolutions? Such as 1024x768?

Thanks.

Sojourner

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check out my video tutorial in my signature!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In general it is up to the game or program to support that resolution, either for this particular chipset or as a VESA-compatible mode.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

For applications the same.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sojourner7 wrote:

Understood. But in this case I'm dealing with an application that doesn't set the screen resolution. So I'm wondering if there's some way to tweak that via DOSBox.

What exactly do you want to do? If you want to run your application in full screen, there are ways to do that. DOSBox will automatically upscale the application's resolution to whatever the resolution of your screen is, using one of various popular upscaling resolutions. But a DOS application written to address a 640x480 resolution will never be able to address a higher resolution, no matter what DOSBox tells it.

Reply 6 of 9, by Sojourner7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running Wordstar 6 for DOS. When I run it in the default window, the font size is a bit too small for comfort. But when I go to full screen the font is too large and blurry. What I'd like is to roughly double the size of the default window. Any thoughts?

I'm using the default "machine=svga_s3" in the DOSBox configuration file. Would changing that have to something else (what else?) have any effect?

Thanks.

Reply 8 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A different machine type won't help much. What you want to change is how the DOSBox screen is presented to your real OS, outside the emulation - not the resolution of the emulated environment intself.

So what you need is to use a scaler (and probably set it to 'forced', since we're talking about a text mode app)... check the conf file for info.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]