VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DhrBaksteen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an issue with pressing the control key and an arrows key at the same time. When I press control and either the left or right arrows keys only the control key seems to register. It works however if I first press either the left or right key and then the control key. This is really annoying in a lot of games when trying to jump in tight spots, because you will only jump up.

I've had this issue before and found some way to fix it. I believe it had something to do with the setting of the core in the config of Dosbox, but I've tried all possibilities with no success. So any help is very welcome.

I'm running Dosbox 0.74 on OS X

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try the svn built (my sig) and maybe give a game example

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by DhrBaksteen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. I will try the SVN built as soon as I can. The link is giving me errors now...

For example Commander Keen or Duke Nukem. Any episode will do. When I press control to jump and the left or right button (while holding control) keen will only jump up. If I jump, release control and press an arrows key in mid air Keen will jump in that direction as expected. Also when I press a direction key and then control to jump Keen jumps as he should. So only when control is pressed first and held down when pressing an arrows key it is not working.

Reply 3 of 6, by DhrBaksteen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've also tried the SVN built but it's giving me the same issue...

Here is another example: Turrican II. If you hold control you shoot some kind of beam which you can rotate by pressing left and right. This is not working, but I found out that the issue only seems te ke with the left and right arrows keys. Pressing up and down while holding control work normally and also control + x, control + v in windows 3.1 work as normal.

I'm totally clueless why left and right are not working 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'll try some of those out between the holidays, right now I'm not near my mac 😉

And thanks for trying the svn built, even though it didn't help your issue it helps to know that it isn't fixed in svn

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 6, by DhrBaksteen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By accident I found the solution to my problem 😀. So for any Mac user who ever runs into this here is my solution:

Go to the keyboard configuration and select keyboard shortcuts. Look under mission control and you will notice two shortcuts: control + left and control + right. Disabling these two fixes the issue and makes playing games a lot more enjoyable!