VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by theunforgivingDarkness

User metadata

Ive been told I can make alone in the dark 1 work fine in xp using DOSbox, so I unzipped AITD I found off some freeware website, and unzipped it to my C:\ drive. Next I ran dosbox, and typed 'mount C C:\alone' to get dosbox set up, then 'C:\' to jump to that drive. I typed 'setup' to enter the games setup screen, and there were loads of options for soundblaster, adlib etc, even though I have built in VIA sound, so I decided to keep the sound off in the game, at least for now..

I typed 'alone,exe' to run the game, but the screen just hung on the games 'loading game, please wait' message in dosbox..? ...so I had to quit dosbox after that. Ive been told I (may) need to do this from another forum to get it to work in xp-

''Try setting the emulated CPU cycles a little higher, you can do this by editing the configuration file (dosbox.conf) and searching for the cycles value.''

But I dont know if its necessary, or even how to do it! I dont know how to change the dosbox conf file, it doesnt open from windows, and I dont know what to type in dosbox to do it either since the above commands are really all I know to try and run anything...! I really wanted to get this game to work on my xp machine too, so if anyone can help It'd be much appreciated! I have built in VIA sound and built in S3 graphics, on a TIME 1600MHZ, 512mb ram, 80Gig pc.

Cheers,
Scott.

Reply 1 of 4, by theamazinglyDarkDARKNESS

User metadata

Ive managed to open the conf file with notepad now, and tried setting the CPU cycles a little higher, but it still doesnt work.

It just stays on this message
" Alone in the dark Loader done on the 92/10/30 By The Terminator of [FLT] Program Now Loading! -Look for other FLT releases..."

But the C:\> below it suggests that nothing is loading and the program has gone back to waiting for another command entry.

I have also tried X:com enemy unknown but this doesnt work from my hard drive either! I dont know.......

Reply 3 of 4, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh... and DosBox, being an emulator, doesn't care what video hardware you have. DosBox emulates all of that in software. So even though you have a onboard VIA sound, inside DosBox, you have the same hardware (Soundblaster + Adlib + Gravis Ultrasound) that everyone else does.

Reply 4 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Alone in the dark 1 doesn't work with version 0.60
try 0.58 as it worked there.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!