VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mjfoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Windows, is there any way that I can make it so that DOSBox will give me a warning when I click the X in the right-hand corner of the DOSBox window? In other words, if I accidentally clicked the X in the right-hand corner, I would get a pop-up that says, "Do you really want to close DOSBox?"

I have a game that I inadvertently clicked the X on last night and lost my progress. I would prefer to get a warning instead of an automatic close, but I don't know if that would be possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply 3 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How is this an issue when it is a universal standard that means close this window across most platforms? It is a fairly trivial matter to add, but would be platform dependent. Portability is one of the main reasons that the official DOSBox does not have other GUI standard such as a menubar. Besides, few applications warn if try to close via the window exit button.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a great post from Raymond Chen somewhere on this topic that is effectively "don't do that".

Considering his career with Microsoft, you'd do well to listen.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use autoit or autohotkey to disable that button.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper