VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dsg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I just found out about DOSBox earlier, and tried it. My machine isn't all that great (I'm running on my laptop at the moment), but it can run some games at a decent speed.

The problem is that the sound stutters. This happens in all the games that I've tried (Raptor, Dune 2, Commander Keen 6, Lemmings, Oh no more lemmings!...). I've tried with sound blaster and adlib emulation. I do not believe it is an issue with the machine not being fast enough, because when I increase/decrease the CPU cycles count, the stuttering stays the same (the frequency of stutters doesn't even seem to change).

Is there anyone here who can help me?

Oh, and my system specs:

laptop with 750MHz p3, 256MB RAM, Mach64-chipset video card with 8MB video RAM, linux 2.4.23 on debian unstable, with XFree86 4.2.1.1. DOSBox 0.60.

Reply 2 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

are you using alsa or oss ?
try increasing the frameskip (ctrl-f8) see if the stuttering disappears or becomes less. If so. Then X is the problem. Like solutions. Look at Xfree.0.log for any Errors or warnings. Especially a non optimized X server is bad and missing mrrt is evil as well.

Futher you can create a configfile for dosbox and disabling the automatic doubling of the screen (saves X 4 times work)

Good luck

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!