VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sure many of you know that dos games frequently use shortcut keys that are combinations of keys like alt+f2, alt+f3 for quick save or quick load. As far as I can tell there's no way to map a single joystick button or key to a combination of keys. The only thing that's available are 3 mod keys that only work to produce a single key stroke or joystick event.

Reply 1 of 8, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NOTE: I'm not sure the following will work as expected, since a game may assume that you press on certain keys in a specific *order* (i.e. alt first and f2 second).

Can't you map the same physical joystick button to multiple emulated keys?
For instance, select "alt" in the mapper and add a binding to the desired joystick button; Then repeat for "f2".

Reply 2 of 8, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well playing Descent I just get the f2 and f3 menus instead of quick save and quick load when mapping to both alt and f2,f3.

edit: oops I guess I screwed up my map file. I made a new one and it worked.

Reply 3 of 8, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm now I have another problem. This has happened a couple times now: after I mess with the mapper and save it, I can no longer access the keymapping menu with ctrl+f1. I didn't remap either of those keys so I don't know why it would just stop working all the sudden. I have to delete the map to get the function back.

Reply 4 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you can use a commandline parameter to bring up the interface as well.

dosbox -startmapper 

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 8, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok it seems that after I use the mapper, I can't use any of dosbox's hotkey functions like ctrl+f9,10,f11, alt+enter. Once I remove the mapper then I can use them again. I did get back in the mapper with -startmapper though. All I did was remap my buttons to keys along with the mod+joybutton for some weapons.

Reply 6 of 8, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok, something seems to be wrong. Here is how it should be done, assuming you restart from scratch with the default mappings:
- First, you do *not* want to touch the top boxes mentioning "Mod1", "Mod2" and "Mod3" (with a capital 'M'). These are used for internal DOSBox functions, like loading the mapper and toggling fullscreen on/off. For example, if you change anything regarding the "Mod1" box then hotkey functions like Ctrl+F10 may stop working as expected.
- It should also help if one does not touch any of the "mod" boxes, either.
- More generally, while you may think of keys like Ctrl and Alt as "modifiers" within games, the various "Mod"/"mod" boxes are totally irrelevant. They exist for the internal hotkey functions of DOSBox itself (unless you toggle a lowercase "mod" 'checkbox' on for some binding or so).
- Now, suppose that you want to map Alt+F2 (in the emulated DOS machine) to some joystick button (in the real world). Press on the "ALT" box, then click on "Add" and finally press on the joystick button. Afterwards, repeat this for "F2" box.

Last edited by NY00123 on 2013-07-04, 16:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 8, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good that you have gotten this to work.

I should mentioned that I have just edited my post in order to fix some false information I have given. Nevertheless, looks like it shouldn't bother you.