VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I just stumbled onto emulation.com and then DOSbox. I downloaded what I thought was dosbox o.6.0. On my desktop I have:
dosbox-0.6.0.tar.gz ..it's apparently the compressed download

dosbox-.0.6.0 ...which apparently is the decompressed tar.gz above. When I open it, there are several files..like...
acinclude.m4 ; aclocal.m4; AUTHORS; autogen.sh; Read Me; ....Install.

When I click Install I get a Simple Text doc that begins: "Things needed for compilation.00SDL0. The Simple Direct Media Library is available at http://libsdl.org00 Curses0 (optional)0 If you want to enable debugger you need a curses library...blah blah.."

When I open acinclude.m4, I get a large, scrambled SimpleText file.
When I open autogen.sh, I get a SimpleText file that says, "This may take a while...blah blah...now you're ready to run ./configure..blah blah..."
When I open Read Me, I get a warning message: "The Document Read Me can't be opened because the applicaion can't be found."

The other item on my desktop is dosbox-0.6.0 tar.
When I try to open it I get a warning, "The document...is too large to be opened by Simple Text."

The download page has quite a few choices, so maybe I downloaded the wrong one.

I'm running a beige G3, OS 9.2.2, upgraded to 366mhz, 640MB, Radeon 7000ME.

I have an old DOS sim called Silent Service and it'd be great to be able to run it again.

Also, is there an emulation for runnning FlightSim 2000 on my machine?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

David

Reply 1 of 5, by m4c0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Geez ! You never compiled a GNU-like program in your live ? 😅

It's normal... But the problem is the file not you... 😉

Let's start downloading the correct file. Go to http://emulation.net/windoze/ and download the MacOS binary package (you have the source package) and maybe the dOSboX launcher.

Now it is very simple: install and run. If you need help after running (like installing games or fine tuning the configuration), don't be shy to come back ! 😁

The only problem is that this MacOS version isn't official. At least, it's not listed on DOSBox official site.

PS: I can't help with dOSboX launcher because I can't test it... 😜

Reply 4 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

m4c0 - yes, that means that it is for Mac OSX, not Mac OS 9 like the original poster is using. The difference is huge - like the difference between Win98 and WinXP. And it does not sound like the original poster is interested in porting DOSBox to OS 9.

David - short of someone - maybe even you - creating a OS 9 compatible binary from the DOSBox source code, then as of yet you have no options available, unless a.) you install Linux for Macintosh instead of OS 9 (but that would still require recompiling the source code) or b.) you upgrade to OS X, if that is at all possible. If your system is unsupported by Apple with OS X, you can try XPostFacto (http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/ ) but it's really a shot-in-the-dark...

As for Flight Simulator 2000, you might want to try Connectix's Virtual PC, but I'll be shocked if it works great on your system.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

Stiletto:

Thx for reading my post and noticing I'm on OS9!

When I stumbled on emulation.com and then onto
dosbox I thought all along I wuz dealin wif Mac stuff.
You've saved the day...I wondered what the heck that
tar.gz file wuz! And who'da thunk you Windoze-users
would need emulators? ....🤣

Yep, I've been watchin ebay for quite some time for
VPC-dos...just so I can run Silent Service...I use to be
addicted to it and Flight Sim when I had my ol Performa.

Thx again and happy 'emulatin' !

D