VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cadnwell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought Master of Orion and downloaded the newest windows version of dos box (6.0) to play the game.
I first installed the game using dos box to C:\MPS\ORION like the instructions told me to, then i configured the game and it said in the dos box window when i was done:
To play now type
ORION

to play later type
C:
cd C:\MPS\ORION
ORION

So I type ORION to play now and it says:
file-> findcd.c, line-> 56
Could not locate Cd

I think this means that it cant find the cd but i dont know how to locate the CD using dos box. If anyone could help me with this i would really appreciate it.
My computer info is:
I dont know the mother board type...
2.40 ghz Intel pentium 4 processor
512 mb ddr ram
video ATI radeon 9000 64 mb ddr ram
I use openGL

The rest of the things required for help, i do not know what they are on my computer. Again any help someone is willing to give a new dos-box user would be extremely appreciated. I am farly computer savy.
Thank you

Reply 2 of 7, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

type the following in dosbox:

mount d x:\ -t cdrom

with 'x' in that line, being the letter of your cdrom-drive containing the CD.
after that, try starting orion again.

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.

Reply 5 of 7, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noticed that 64MB is the maximum amount of expanded memory Dosbox can handle. Not that it is a big issue, but it would be nice to see it up to 128MB in a future release. I only know of one DOS game that uses more than 64MB. Redguard. Silly Bethsoft, making a DOS game in 1998 which used DOS Glide.

Still, Redguard is the whole reason why I hope that a Dosbox far into the future will have support for 128MB and Voodoo emulation.

Reply 7 of 7, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I know. But the goal of Dosbox is to run "virtually all programs". I can run Redguard in pure DOS on my P233. So why not in Dosbox in a distant future?

While I'm grateful for Glidos and have been using it to play Redguard, Dosbox have the advantage of not relying on Windows. It's in portable code. Maybe 5 years from now I'm a Mac user and want to play Redguard 😉 Then Dosbox would be my only option.