VOGONS

Common searches

How do I swap floppies in DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have version 0.74 (the latest) of DosBox. The imgmount command works for all image types, but mounting multiple images so they can be swapped with ctrl+f4 only works with CD ISOs, not floppy images. I am trying to install something from disk images that has multiple disks, but they are multiple floppies, not ISOs. The install program is on disk-1, and the installer program remains loaded after the end of each disk. This means there is no way to get back to the dos prompt to issue a command to unmount the current floppy and then issue the command to mount the next one. I need a way to simulate actual floppy swapping in DosBox. Is there another command other than imgmount that I could use, that actually WILL work with a multiple floppy installation, where after issuing the command I can simply press ctrl+(some F key) to swap floppies? If not in the main branch of DosBox, is there an alternate version that WILL allow such a command?

Reply 1 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ctrl-f4 works for the floppydrive.
Imgmount in svn builts can handle floppy images.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are using D-Fend Reloaded, it's quite simple actually :

9544024879_c3bcb99f43_b.jpg

Images can be added with the "folder" and "+" icons on the lower right to a list. Then simply press Ctrl-F4 while running to change the floppy image, as also displayed on the window near the bottom.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 28, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose that this DFR option is for *booting* a floppy image - ctrl+F4 can swap those in 0.74 if I remember correctly, but the OP needs it to work with imgmount as well, so SVN is the way to go. (And thanks for that patch, rcblanke!)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 28, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem with SVNs is that they are nothing more than mods. There's DOZENS of them out there. Each one has very specific features that are not shared with other ones. So if I need one feature to play one game, and another feature to play another game, then I find myself installing a dozen different versions of DosBox. I want to be able to play my entire game collection with the main version of DosBox. It would be really nice if the official developers of DosBox would take all the most important features of all the different modded versions of DosBox, and add them to the main branch (the version you get from the download link at the official DosBox website). At least 3 of them that I can think of off the top of my head are:
a disk swapping feature for the imgmount command (what this thread is about)
a serial mouse option among the different modes for the serial port (currently dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, and directserial are the only ones available, so nothing yet for a serial mouse)
a way to reboot the emulated PC without closing DosBox (an equivalent to ctrl+alt+delete, as well as a way to allow programs that call the reboot interrupt to trigger a reboot without crashing or forcing DosBox to close entirely)

There's probably many more such features like this that absolutely should be added, but for some reason (one which I can't imagine) the official developers of DosBox have chosen not to add these fatures. All I can do is beg, and hope that they eventually decide to add them.

Reply 6 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Time to build a Retro DOS Gaming PC 😀

That's how my "journey" started. There were a few little things that I noticed about DOSBox, and that made me get into real hardware.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 28, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

That's how my "journey" started. There were a few little things that I noticed about DOSBox, and that made me get into real hardware.

Nope. If it's ridiculous to have to download a separate version of DosBox dedicated to playing each game, then it's CERTAINLY a dumb thing to need to build an ENTIRE DEDICATED COMPUTER to play DOS games. What it is time for however is for the DosBox developers to do what they should have done a long time ago. Time for them to take all the best features of all the best DosBox mods, and incorporate them into the main branch of DosBox, so that EVERY Dos game that ever existed will run perfectly even on a modern PC, via DosBox.

Reply 8 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The problem is that you don't get what SVN means.
SVN is the way Dosbox stores its changes to the source. If someone tells you to use the SVN of Dosbox it means you should use a build of the actual source. If the developers were to release a new version this day it would be identical to the SVN version.
So in this case Dosbox already has that feature there just wasn't a release of it yet.

If someone points you at Daum SVN or someother version then whatever features that has is not added to Dosbox for a reason.

What you demand of the devs is essentially what you get withthe Daum SVN. It adds every little thing and stuff but lacks stability because of that.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
videogamer555 wrote:

Nope. If it's ridiculous to have to download a separate version of DosBox dedicated to playing each game, then it's CERTAINLY a dumb thing to need to build an ENTIRE DEDICATED COMPUTER to play DOS games. What it is time for however is for the DosBox developers to do what they should have done a long time ago. Time for them to take all the best features of all the best DosBox mods, and incorporate them into the main branch of DosBox, so that EVERY Dos game that ever existed will run perfectly even on a modern PC, via DosBox.

I get your point, but it takes a lot of people and time to work on DOSBox, whereas it takes you actually quite little to build a DOS PC 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Not to mention that it's really ridiculously difficult to run more than one program to play games. Especially if you need a different version of Dosbox for EACH game. EACH GAME!

Reply 11 of 28, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
videogamer555 wrote:

it's ridiculous to have to download a separate version of DosBox dedicated to playing each game <...> What it is time for however is for the DosBox developers to do what they should have done a long time ago.

They do this in free time, so are rather limited. Improving of compatibility is going persistently as you may see by regular SVNs.

About the need to change versions of DOSBox for concrete games. Is there a significant number of games that don't work good in ykhwong's build 2014-01-27, while you've successed them to work good in other DOSBox version? It would be interesting to see about your such games experience - you'd may create a theme for this.

philscomputerlab wrote:

whereas it takes you actually quite little to build a DOS PC 😀

It takes some money (several hundreds of dollars with post pays), a problem to choose and find parts in good condition. And most bad - 2nd computer takes place; to place a 2nd monitor, especially a CRT, is the most bad thing.
As a bonus you may need several PCs to play all old games you want. 😀 So if you don't have an additonal room and superfluous ~$1000 or even more, the idea to use old PCs to play all old games may look not so catching.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 12 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
videogamer555 wrote:

The problem with SVNs is that they are nothing more than mods. There's DOZENS of them out there.

No, there are certainly not DOZENS of them – unless you count outdated versions, but in that case you could just as easily say there are dozens of official versions of DOSBox.

Pretty much all you need is the SVN Daum version. It has everything in the "official" SVN version, plus just about everything else you might want (including the exotic DOSBox-X features, which no one usually needs anyway).

a way to reboot the emulated PC without closing DosBox

Why exactly would you want this?

as well as a way to allow programs that call the reboot interrupt to trigger a reboot

And what programs are these, and why would you want to run them in DOSBox?

Reply 13 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
videogamer555 wrote:

There's probably many more such features like this that absolutely should be added, but for some reason (one which I can't imagine) the official developers of DosBox have chosen not to add these fatures. All I can do is beg, and hope that they eventually decide to add them.

The #1 goal is compatibility with DOS games. This has been stated thousands of times in these forums. Extra features take away development time from this and hinder future development of DOSBox.

With that said the next DOSBox release will have some new features.

I find it refreshing to have a program that has continued to maintain it's primary purpose instead of adding a metric assload of bells and whistles to get people to buy it.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 28, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
No, there are certainly not DOZENS of them – unless you count outdated versions, but in that case you could just as easily say t […]
Show full quote
videogamer555 wrote:

The problem with SVNs is that they are nothing more than mods. There's DOZENS of them out there.

No, there are certainly not DOZENS of them – unless you count outdated versions, but in that case you could just as easily say there are dozens of official versions of DOSBox.

Pretty much all you need is the SVN Daum version. It has everything in the "official" SVN version, plus just about everything else you might want (including the exotic DOSBox-X features, which no one usually needs anyway).

a way to reboot the emulated PC without closing DosBox

Why exactly would you want this?

as well as a way to allow programs that call the reboot interrupt to trigger a reboot

And what programs are these, and why would you want to run them in DOSBox?

Some games require you to reboot the PC (or even attempt to automatically reboot it by calling the interrupt needed to force a reboot) after running their official installer program to install the game. If the installer program forces a reboot to occur, this crashes DosBox. DosBox should respond like a real hardware PC would, and simply reboot itself.

Reply 15 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Which games require this? And which games initiate a reboot?

If a program requires a reboot it's mostly because they changed config.sys and autoexec.bat which has no effect at all on dosbox. So you can just ignore this.

Reply 17 of 28, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
videogamer555 wrote:

The problem with SVNs is that they are nothing more than mods. There's DOZENS of them out there. Each one has very specific features that are not shared with other ones. So if I need one feature to play one game, and another feature to play another game, then I find myself installing a dozen different versions of DosBox. I want to be able to play my entire game collection with the main version of DosBox.

While I would normally agree with you that it's best to have one program that can do everything, I sort of disagree in this case.

I did install the official release of DOSBox at one point, but now I typically put a copy of DOSBox in each game's directory. I create a directory for the game, then I make a DOSBox directory and a directory to act as the C drive. I create a custom CONF file with whatever settings I want for that game, a menu to let me run different versions or the setup program, and then I call it with a BAT file. This allows me to make the game installation portable. It can be copied to a USB drive, or easily packed into an archive. If I ever want to play it again, I just need to unpack the archive and it's ready to go.

Personally, I prefer the Daum SVN version (1/27/2014) because it has save states, Glide support and support for using MP3 files in place of the audio tracks on a CD image.

philscomputerlab wrote:

Things seemed just the opposite to me. I've tried to run games in true DOS in the past and I had nothing but problems. Having to install DOS drivers for everything, worrying about having enough memory free, programs running too fast, etc. Admittedly I've only tried a couple dozen games in DOSBox, but so far they've all worked pretty much "out of the box" with maybe a little tweaking to get them the way I wanted.

Dominus wrote:

What you demand of the devs is essentially what you get withthe Daum SVN. It adds every little thing and stuff but lacks stability because of that.

For what it's worth, I played through Tomb Raider and the Unfinished Business add-on using the 1/27/2014 version of Daum and didn't have a single problem with it. I also used it for testing various Glide wrappers, so it was more than a quick once-through each level.

DosFreak wrote:

The #1 goal is compatibility with DOS games. This has been stated thousands of times in these forums. Extra features take away development time from this and hinder future development of DOSBox.

With that said the next DOSBox release will have some new features.

I find it refreshing to have a program that has continued to maintain it's primary purpose instead of adding a metric assload of bells and whistles to get people to buy it.....

I mostly agree, however I would argue that some of the extra features enhance your ability to play games. The save states in the Daum version came in quite handy while playing Dark Forces last year. I've also used them on Alien Trilogy. Some may argue that the designers didn't intend for you to be able to save during the levels, but I'd argue that only allowing you to save at the end of levels adds unnecessary frustration to games.

The ability to play the Glide version of Tomb Raider enhanced my enjoyment of the game. Besides looking quite ugly, the software rendered version is quite buggy in its handling of textures. As you turn the view, textures change, move and even appear and disappear.

And while not actually enhancing gameplay directly, the choice not to support the use of MP3 files in place of the audio tracks on a CD image seems like an odd omission considering that it supports Ogg Vorbis files, which are also lossy, but 3-4 times the size of MP3 and not nearly as universally used as MP3.

Reply 18 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Since there is a newer Daum SVN version out that seems to be much less stable, I stand on what I wrote 😉

Reply 19 of 28, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Since there is a newer Daum SVN version out that seems to be much less stable, I stand on what I wrote 😉

I've only used the 2015 versions briefly. I tried to change my Redneck Rampage installation to the newest Daum SVN and the audio on the opening movie stuttered unless I set the game to use 640x400. So I switched to the 2014 version instead.

I also used the 2014 version to play through Dark Forces twice (medium and hard difficulties). I made extensive use of save states, which were a big help. I thought I'd found a bug where DOSBox would randomly close while switching weapons, but then I realized that combined with the crouch key, I was inadvertently hitting the Quit key combination, which I then changed in the mapper. 😀