VOGONS

Common searches

386 vs 486

Topic actions

First post, by Guest

User metadata

As far as i know Dosbox emulates a 386 and its instructions. Although slow for many latter Dos games,still these games work. The problem is that some games ( i already know one : Synnergist ) refuse to run saying for example " error : 386 cpu detected : 486 is required". With Synnergist that i have tried, it is not a matter of speed as i increased the cycles and nothing happend, it must be a matter of instructions or smth, but i don't know for sure. Any opinions on the subject?

Reply 2 of 6, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That`d be a LONG ways off, but I`d love for a cpu choice to be available at some later stage. Maybe have it as a choice when you startup dosbox each time.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 4 of 6, by blusk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I believe we are referring to after you guys have basically perfected 386 emulation, you could then add a separate set of instructions that represent the extra functions of the 486. If added carefully (although I'm no expert), flipping the extra CPU opcodes on and off would be a snap.

Brian

Reply 6 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Yes, I believe there were some... I cannot recall any titles, but I do remember that there was a crap pseudo-3D game consisting of fighting flying critters in a maze, and it refused to run on a 386 when it detected its presence. I even seem to remember a small TSR that was supposed to fool applications into thinking it was running on a higher processor than the actual one.