VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BoyOfDestiny

User metadata

I believe p4's would be the wrong choice due to the pipeline. Would it fair better on an amd then? However IA-32 or 64-bit? I believe amd's 64-bit chipset achieves 32-bit compatiblity via emulation... would this bottle neck the performance? Enough so that an emulator would work less efficiently than on a p4?

The question boils down to... for dosbox if you could choose a processor and chipset... Intel or AMD? 32-bit or 64-bit [amd]?

I know someone would reply just get a 486 and blah for $50. I'm just planning an upgrade, and I would hope to gear a computer to my use, which primarily is emulation when it comes to gaming.

Thanks to those who reply,

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMD doesn't emulate 32bit.

It's tought to gauge what the best processor for DosBox would be. As with anything more L1/L2 cache would help tremendously, along with higher processor speeds.

IIRC, the latest AMD FX processor beats the latest P4 in benchmarks so it's probably the FX that would be the best choice for now.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AMD FX is the fastest CPU on the market right now. It runs 32-bit software very fast.

Still, I can't help to wonder how fast Dosbox would run on it on 64-bit Linux and with a 64-bit exe 😀 Pretty good, I imagine 😎