Common searches

colors

Topic actions

First post, by mirvmirje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I run DOSBox on WinXP.
It works perfectly and I love the sound and joystick support.
There is one thing, though, that bugs me.

Every time I play a game for like 10 minutes or so, the colors will change. It doesn't even matter what game - the colors just change. The resolution's still fine and you can still see what's what, but like red becomes yellow or blue becomes grey - it's wierd.

How can I fix that?

Reply 1 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

does it happen when you play with joystick or keyboard ?
if it's joystick: see if a energysaving feature or a screensaver pops in

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

usually keyboard and mousestuff is used for stopping the counter of the screensaver. Just try playing with keyboard and see if it still happends.

It's just a wild thought. It could be wrong.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 14, by mirvmirje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I tried it. I switched off all the energy saving stuff. Unfortunately, it still goes wrong. Funny thing is, when it happens and I change back to Windows (letting DOSBox run in the background) and then change back to DOSBox again, the colors are alright again. I have no idea why. So I should have like an automatic window switching tool? Or does it have to do with Windows refreshing the desktop icons?

Reply 7 of 14, by mirvmirje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm doesn't work.
I guess it does have to do with Windows refreshing the desktop icons
because when I changed to the desktop the last time it did that, the icons were actually refreshing. So is there a way to solve that?

Reply 9 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

I've had this problem recently. It is rather specific solution that may not fit your issue, but it could be similar.

I play Day of Defeat and have the Steam client running in the background. It appears that this client does something with windows, resetting palettes or something, and it screws up the colors. It does this maybe every 10 minutes or so like you said.

So I guess my suggestion would be to make sure that you don't have a lot of windows programs in your task bar, ones that may update palettes or do something else.... it's worth a try.

Reply 13 of 14, by mirvmirje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it's funny actually. I had installed an automatic wallpaper switching tool which not also made the wallpaper switch, but also the colors in DOSBox.
So I just quit that program and DOSBox worked normally again.