VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jaggedfel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My question is, can I patch Star Trek New Worlds as well, and get it to run in Windows? Its a Win 95/98 game though... I was wondering, if there was a way to use DOSBox to make it run in Windows? It wont run because of new video driver issues, so I was wondering if DOSBox could fix that. Please forgive me if this is the wrong board. Im awfully new here and new to Windows XP as well...

"Death and Poverty like me so much, they brought friends!!!"
~Vash the Stampede

Reply 1 of 2, by Nephrex

User metadata

Umm,

Dos box is a dos emulator...

You could make the star trek game run in Windows 95 compatibility mode and lock it at 256 colors (Thats the biggest issue with old windows games)
or use something like Virtual PC or VMWARE and isntall windows 3.1 or 95. IF you want 100% compatibility for windows games. Dos box has extremley limited FPU support but it is fantastic at emulating what it was designed for, circa 1980-1993 DOS games. As its designed to run as an 80286/80386SX running windows on it would be far from fun anyway.

To sum it up... Use dos box for old DOS games.
Use Compatibility mode. VPC or VMW for old windows games.

VPC and VMWARE have demos... and *cough*cracks but to buy they are pricey. On top of this you need a copy of Dos 6.22/ Win 3.1 or 95 aswell.

There is a DOS called Freedos which may fit the bill... but you still need windows 3.1 / 95.

Hope this helps

Neph

Reply 2 of 2, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no no no.
it can't be run in dosbox...

(i believe you said you couldn't patch the game, right?)
i said you should patch the game using dosbox, since the patch is sorta a dos-based file, and it might help you at that.
that is to say, if you're patching it, at least you can read the errors which might occur, etc. if you'd patch the game using windows, i'm pretty sure it's way too fast for you to be reading what went wrong.

the game however, should still be run in windows (with or without using compatibility mode, i don't know if it needs that).

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.