VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vog_kevyip_vog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I run DOXBox 0.60 in full screen mode (with the command-line option -fullscreen), the image doesn't fill the whole area of my monitor. Usually when this happens, it is because my monitor's refresh rate isn't set properly. So I tried changing the refresh rates for all the resolutions from 320x240 to 640x480. But none had any effect on the DOSBox fullscreen image. So my question is, what video mode (resolution) does DOSBox run in? I need to know this so I can change the refresh rate for that resolution.

My PC runs XP Home SP1. When I power it up, the bootup text screen and the BIOS setup text screen both fill up the monitor screen. When I open up a DOS window in XP, the fullscreen image also fills up the monitor. That means all those video modes are using the correct refresh rates.

Therefore, what weird video mode does DOSBox use, that I can't set its refresh rate??

Thanks in advance for any help and with you a happy, virus-free new year.

Reply 1 of 2, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two more resolutions: 320x200, 640x400

Try experimenting with "timing modes" in your video drivers settings:

good modes:
General Timing Formula (GTF),
Coordinated Video Timings (CVT) Standard,

bad modes:
Auto-detect,
Discrete Monitor Timings (DMT),
Fixed aspect ratio timing.

Reply 2 of 2, by vog_kevyip_vog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The video mode is indeed 640x400. (I found that out by measuring the dimension of the DOSBox window.) So I tried different refresh rates for that mode: 60, 70, 72, 75, 85, etc. And 70Hz finally gave me a full monitor-size image. Problem solved. Thanks!