VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tfabris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running DosBox with the -noconsole command line parameter so that I get only the one game window instead of two windows (game+console). Combine this with the -exit command line parameter and it's almost like these games are Windows games now. 😀

As it says in the readme file, the lack of a console window means that anything that would have been displayed in the console window now gets redirected to stderr.txt and stdout.txt.

Is there a way I can suppress the creation of these two files in addition to suppressing the console window?

Reply 3 of 8, by tfabris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because if I happen to run the program with the "Current directory" set to something other than a known location, then these two loose .txt files get created in whatever the current directory is. Including irritating places like start menu folders and such.

This, by the way, also happens to be why the zero-byte-readonly-file-trick is not useful to me.

Why do I want to run it from anywhere? Because I'm developing a .REG file (that I want to share with everyone here) that gives you right-click shell access to do a "DosBox Here".

In other words, let's say you're in Windows Explorer and you want to have DosBox pop up in a given folder. Right click on that folder and select "DosBox Here" and up pops DosBox with the current directory mounted as that folder.

The problem right now is that stderr.txt and stdout.txt will (currently) litter the parent of that folder, whatever it happens to be.

Reply 7 of 8, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was just thinking on this. I know how easy it is to supress the console output in Unix. It occured to me that Windows/DOS had a similar functionality, could you redirect the output to NUL in windows, or would that only catch stdout, rather than both stdout and stderr. I would think it would catch both, due to the fact that I do not think that DOS had the functionality of discerning between the two

dosbox.exe > NUL

as an example of what to try. (Note that you don't want to use -noconsole with this idea)

Reply 8 of 8, by tfabris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works when you're in the actual DOS command prompt. The problem is, this is launching a Windows program from the windows shell, using a shell command in the registry. There's no output redirection that way, as far as I know.