VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Scummvm, exult, xu4, pentagram...
Try exult from http://exult.sf.net you need Ultim7 for it to being really useful but for sound initialization it will work well enough without Ultima7 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 61 of 111, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, I was thinking of another thread where someone was having problems on Win8. You only see one device when you go to Control Panel => Sound => Playback? There is no SPDIF, USB or HDMI audio device listed in addition to your Realtek?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 62 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Scummvm, exult, xu4, pentagram...
Try exult from http://exult.sf.net you need Ultim7 for it to being really useful but for sound initialization it will work well enough without Ultima7 😉

Like I said in the start of the thread, I use ScummVM most of the time and it's never given me trouble. I could try that Ultima emulator, I have the Ultima collection and I'm pretty sure it goes up to 7 at least.

collector wrote:

Sorry, I was thinking of another thread where someone was having problems on Win8. You only see one device when you go to Control Panel => Sound => Playback? There is no SPDIF, USB or HDMI audio device listed in addition to your Realtek?

I do have an HDMI audio device, but I thought that was connected to my graphics card? And yes I do have SPDIF too, but I have to disable it with the main audio device to get DOSBox running. I could swear I mentioned the SPDIF before?

Reply 63 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry, didn't reread the thread so I forgot the ScummVM part. You just need to download, install and run Exult. It initializes music right away so that should make it crash or not...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 65 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ok, that is at least a confirmatiom that it's probably an SDL 1.2 issue (does anyone know has ScummVm switched to SDL2 or are they patching SDL?).
Do you have OLDER drivers for your sound device still around? Preferably from a time DOSBox was still working (if you have a rough guess about that). And if you disable the device in the device manager is DOSBox working?

And just for hecks sake, can you try and run DOSBox as an administrator? Just a long shot...

Reply 66 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running it as an admin was the the first thing I tried.

It would be weird if downgrading my driver would help, since the only time I updated my sound driver when was someone here suggest it, either way it says it's been the same since 2010, and I only started having this problem recently.

Hmm, come to think I'm not even sure what brand my audio device is... It says "High Definition Audio Device" everywhere I look on my PC, but I do know that the moment I disable it, DOSBox works.

And oddly enough, like people suggested before I disabled the sound in the config files and that does not do anything.

I also just checked, ScummVM still works fine.

Reply 67 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

thanks for checking and for being patient with all our different suggestions 😀
Downgrading drivers may help from time to time, always depends on what the problem is. Of course we first suggest updating it 😀
It might be good to find out what your device is and see whether you can find drivers from the manufacturer and not the generic MS drivers (worth a shot).

Can you think of *anything* major that you recently did? Anything audio related? Any software that is always running in the background? Can you try quitting *everything* except what the system needs? Quit Skype, etc... If the problem is there it's likely to be something that autostarts with your system.
If that helps turn them back on, one by one and test in between when DOSBox crashes. You got me interested now in solving this 😀

Reply 68 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The sound card is integrated to the motherboard, and has been the same way before this problem happened, it seems to have only one driver since I can't update or downgrade it, at least through the Windows Device Manager. If it helps, I'll open up my PC to find out the motherboard and then figure out the sound card that's integrated to it.

I disabled my antivirus and even though I have no VOIP I closed everything in my toolbar later. Hmm, do you think starting Windows in Safe Mode would help weed out if it's some other program messing everything up? Or would it be better to shut them down manually with the Windows Task Manager, one by one to see which one it could be?

Reply 69 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Shutting down one by one in task manger would be best and only if that doesn't help trying safe mode.
You should be able to learn about your sound card if you know which mainboard you have. Maybe you can find that out more easily

Reply 71 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joey_sw wrote:

create a restore point first, and see if the audio devices can be "Roll Back Driver",
automatic windows updates are often updating device drivers as well.

I don't have a previous driver to "roll back" to.

Now that I have time I'll try disabling programs in the Task Manager and hope one of them is the culprit.

Reply 72 of 111, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Ok, that is at least a confirmatiom that it's probably an SDL 1.2 issue (does anyone know has ScummVm switched to SDL2 or are they patching SDL?).

Judging from http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Compiling_S … M/Visual_Studio it still uses 1.2.

Reply 73 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I've made some progress:

-My Motherboard is a F1A75-M PRO that uses "Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC"
-Starting is Safe Mode works.
-I closed all non essential processes in normal mode... it still didn't work.

Should I mess with the task manager services? I don't any related to audio specifically, but who knows.

Reply 74 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You could with the drivers https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/F1A75M_PRO/#support
Further than that I'm too inexperienced with Windows these days.

I'm curios why Scummvm works and both Dosbox and Exult crash. Initialization of MIDI perhaps?

Reply 76 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There are newer drivers at http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/8-ne … k-audio-drivers

Reply 77 of 111, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried each audio device with all others disabled so that it is the only one enabled?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 79 of 111, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't this fun? I'm wondering if the fastest way to get to the bottom of this is to write a small SDL program that outputs more useful debug information. (Or does something like this already exist somewhere?)