VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm super curious on why ScummVM works and not the others if they really use the same library. Is there some database that says which game uses which library? Would it help if I found an SDL 1.3 app or game and see if that works?

Reply 81 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, it wouldn't help. It would be more interesting why those cras and Scummvm doesn't I suspect it's the midi initialization...
(Also SDL2=SDL 1.3 😉)
But, if I understand you correctly this time, when you PHYSICALLY disconnect everything from the onboard audio port Dosbox doesn't crash? What do you have connected? And if I indeed understood you correctly is there some tool in the system control for the realtek or in the taskbar corner next to the clock? Maybe there is some setting there that controls anything that may be responsible.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 82 of 111, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Which devices are listed as connected to the realtek ?
Midi might be a good one, but I do think scummvm can output midi stuff as well.
But I thought I once asked to set mpu401=none. That should disable midi and I recall that it then still crashed....

Maybe try a lower samplerate ? 22500 or 11250

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 83 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

No, it wouldn't help. It would be more interesting why those cras and Scummvm doesn't I suspect it's the midi initialization...
(Also SDL2=SDL 1.3 😉)
But, if I understand you correctly this time, when you PHYSICALLY disconnect everything from the onboard audio port Dosbox doesn't crash? What do you have connected? And if I indeed understood you correctly is there some tool in the system control for the realtek or in the taskbar corner next to the clock? Maybe there is some setting there that controls anything that may be responsible.

Actually, I just disabled them, but unplugging my speakers works too, unfortunately plugging in another speaker or headphones makes it crash. I only have some standard speakers, nothing fancy.
I don't have any special realtek tool for my audio, I'm using the default Windows one.

Qbix wrote:
Which devices are listed as connected to the realtek ? Midi might be a good one, but I do think scummvm can output midi stuff a […]
Show full quote

Which devices are listed as connected to the realtek ?
Midi might be a good one, but I do think scummvm can output midi stuff as well.
But I thought I once asked to set mpu401=none. That should disable midi and I recall that it then still crashed....

Maybe try a lower samplerate ? 22500 or 11250

I tried setting Mpu401 to none and that did nothing, but I just changed mididevice to none and that worked.
Lowering the samplerate still makes it crash.

Out of curiosity I tried changing the MIDI settings in ScummVM, none of them crash.

Reply 85 of 111, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tanukitsune wrote:

Actually, I just disabled them, but unplugging my speakers works too, unfortunately plugging in another speaker or headphones makes it crash. I only have some standard speakers, nothing fancy.

Have you tried using a different jack? Maybe you're accidentally using the surround-sound output jack, or something.

There are also probably some options in your Sound control panel relating to your speaker setup that you can try changing. (Sorry, I know that's kind of vague.)

Reply 86 of 111, by truth_deleted

User metadata

I believe you said many of these games were bought from gog.com and steam. They have guarantees that games work on your Windows system. Please consider contacting them to ask for help or a refund. You did pay for a product which does not work.

They've sold thousands (or more) games and must have compiled technical support issues from all sorts of problems, while the experts here were not paid by those companies. 😀

Reply 87 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Tanukitsune wrote:

Have you tried using a different jack? Maybe you're accidentally using the surround-sound output jack, or something.

There are also probably some options in your Sound control panel relating to your speaker setup that you can try changing. (Sorry, I know that's kind of vague.)

Hmm, it's in the right jack, but I just noticed important. Remember how at first I said it was a Realtek device and then that I wasn't sure?

I'm pretty sure it WAS labelled as a Realtek device before, where as of now it's labelled as a Windows one... I also just realized that the Realtek Audio Manager is gone too, which makes me feel dumb. But I just updated my drivers? Why does it still say it's a Windows sound device and why am I still using the Windows Audio Manger?

truth5678 wrote:

I believe you said many of these games were bought from gog.com and steam. They have guarantees that games work on your Windows system. Please consider contacting them to ask for help or a refund. You did pay for a product which does not work.

They've sold thousands (or more) games and must have compiled technical support issues from all sorts of problems, while the experts here were not paid by those companies. 😀

But the problem is with DOSBox, my old DOS game don't work either, I'm not asking for a refund.

I guess I'll search and see if I need a very specific driver? I could swear I got the right one.

Reply 88 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The newest should be http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/8-ne … k-audio-drivers try if those install. As they are not by Asus but by Realtek directly, there *could* be that these don't install

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 89 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the link, the official link keeps crashing.

My computer finally recognizes the device as a Realtek one, unfortunately, that didn't change anything and for some reason I don't seem to have the Realtek Audio Manager to mess around with the devices settings.

Reply 90 of 111, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok, just because I'm bit unsure about the situation from the recent comments:
- When you set mididevice to none, there is no crash *and* you can hear non-MIDI sounds in DOSBox? (These include FM synthesis, say "Ad Lib".)
- What about mididevice=win32?
- midiconfig by chance?
- About the rate: Try rate=48000 as well (in addition to rates lower than 44100).

Reply 91 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I feel kinda dumb, that once I got working with the midi turned off in the config file, I never bothered to check whether any game would have sound....

I tried Jill of the Jungle, Jazz Jackrabbit and ZZT. They all sound fine to me now.

I've tried everything but midiconfig...

Here's a weird thing, I tried a Steam DOS game and it's crashing. I'm going to try a few GOG games and see if running the Steam games through D-fend will help.

Reply 92 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, so far I can only get games working if I run them through D-Fend and simply set mididevice to none.

I've edited config files of GOG and Steam games and they still crash for some reason. This doesn't make sense and what's worse is that I'm having trouble running them without GOG or Steam.

Should I compare the config files and see if there is something else I'm missing? My default DOSBox still works with just disabling the midi device.

Reply 93 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

so when dosbox starts with mididevice=none, can you do the listmidi command in DOSBox and report back what the console window outputs? (or whether DOSBox crashes)
in DOSBox it's
mixer /listmidi

Reply 95 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

he he, this all makes no sense...

Reply 96 of 111, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was your audio driver installed via Windows Update? Go to Realtek website and download the one for your hardware there. Optionally go to your mainboard website and check the one there too.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 98 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

so, to recap what we know:

- MIDI initialization (or so) crashes DOSBox, disabling MIDI allows DOSBox to work, without MIDI though
- Unplugging the speakers from your Realtek makes it work as well

This *sounds* really really strange and probably not solvable. The Realtek Audio Manager might be something to get to work again. No idea how, though

Reply 99 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

After a quick look at the manual (which doesn't show the ports on the back nor the front panel 🙁 ) you could try getting into the bios on boot up (del key) and change the Audio HD settings.
Also are you using the front panel or back panel to attach your speakers?