VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox has stopped working and closes at startup.

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 111, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would the HD settings really mater if it is choking on MIDI? Still, seeing what settings are in the BIOS may lead to something.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 101 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Collector since we are already in the twilight zone (unplugging the speakers makes Dosbox work - wtf?) anything might help

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 102 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As for the Realtek manager it should be a control panel app according to http://www.mslinn.com/sites/mike/computers/ga … lery/audio.html

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 103 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know why but the Realtek Manager didn't install with the driver, I was looking on ways to getting it back, since I'm begging to think the day it went away might have been the day it DOSBox started giving me trouble, but I can't really find anything.

What's really strange is that taking out the mididevice in the config files works for DOSBox, but not for GOG or Steam games. In the event log it's still pointing to "wdmaud.drv" as the culprit.

Why would this error still appear if I've disabled the midi device?

Reply 104 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The GOG and Steam games most likely use two config files, one for general settings and one for game settings. The last one trumps the first one.
I think the config files are per game somewhere. In the case of Ultima 7, the master config is at C:\GOG Games\Ultima VII - Complete\Ultima7\dosboxULTIMA7.conf and for the game the additional config is dosboxULTIMA7_single.conf (same path). And this is with the new U7 GOG installer, no idea what the old one did. Long story short, take a look at which config files get loaded and change all that have the mididevice setting.

You really need the Realtek Manager it seems 😀

Reply 105 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

so when you open up Control panel and search for Realtek it is not appearing? Definitely?

Reply 107 of 111, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't know, try different settings 😀

Reply 109 of 111, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, messing around with the Realtek manager didn't do a thing and that includes reducing the sampling rate as for the additional GOG file, the one in the game I tried seemed to simply be the equivalent of an "Autoexec.bat".

Reply 110 of 111, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Try the dosbox version posted here: DOSBox and MIDI music. It will bypass the Microsoft MIDI device. Follow the instructions there to install a soundfont, too. That's the only test I can think of to bypass the built-in MIDI (in Windows 7). Otherwise, you will not know.