VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To the best of my knowledge, vanilla DOSBox sets the modify date and time of files that were unpacked from archives (e.g. when using certain types of installers or self-extracting archives) to the date and time of their creation on a local drive as determined by the host OS. This is not always useful, and DOSBox SVN Daum builds actually do preserve original date/time stamps on files in similar circumstances. However, this feature doesn't seem to be very widespread, and I know not of other third-party builds that have it. SO my question is, are there any? And also, why is this feature absent from vanilla DOSBox in the first place?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You are partly correct. Those builds don't preserve the original date, they allow the original date to be set by the archive utility.
As to why it is not in the default build. I wasn't able to come up with a version of the code that worked on all OSes that dosbox supports under all circumstances.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it does seem to work reliably under Windows in the Daum Cafe builds. Anyway, are there other known builds to do this, or is it a feature specific to DOSBox SVN Daum altogether?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
MrFlibble wrote:

Well, it does seem to work reliably under Windows in the Daum Cafe builds. Anyway, are there other known builds to do this, or is it a feature specific to DOSBox SVN Daum altogether?

So that's one of the big three 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper