VOGONS

Common searches

cant put "\" at dosbox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi Well this is the strangest thing I have ever had. I start dosbox and when I have to mount my drive c I cant use the key "\" what can be the problem? is there another way to put a "\" ?

Reply 3 of 17, by Guest

User metadata

Doesn't work for me either. Also, for some reason I can't select a US keyboard layout.
Or rather, I can select it but it doesn't seem to affect DOSbox. In general, DOSbox seems to have, um, a very custom way of using the keyboard - every key on my (German) keyboard works as expected, except the umlauts and the backslash.
If that helps any, the backslash on German keyboard layouts is achieved by pressing ctrl+alt+the "ß" (ß) / "?" key, while umlauts have their own keys.
See http://www.mag-murphy.net/temp/germankeys.png for a quick overview of the German keyboard layout.

Reply 14 of 17, by theoutrider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

See my above post (unnamed, sorry) - I can change my keyboard layout, but it doesn't affect DOSbox. 🙁
At the moment, I work around the problem by mounting the target directories as drives, which works with most games. It's not exactly an elegant solution though 😉

Reply 17 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't know if/how changing the keyboard layout will work for the rest of you, but it does the trick for me.

I have not yet had the need to reach keys like []{}~ in DOSbox, only "\" (which is Alt-Gr + ">" key) and @ (which is Alt-Gr + "2").

I used the Control Panel in Windows to add English as an extra input locale for my Danish keyboard, and enabled Left-Alt + Shift as the hot-key for changing keyboard layout.

Now, whenever I need "\" or "@", I just press Left-Alt + Shift, wait for the little indicator in the system tray to change from "DA" to "EN". Now pressing the "><" (without Alt) or the "2" key (with Shift), produces the desired character.

And pressing Left-Alt + Shift returns me to my normal, Danish keyboard. It is not elegant, but it is workable workaround.

Switching keyboard layouts is nothing special to me. I have a Danish keyboard at home, a work-laptop with a Danish built-in keyboard, but with my detachable keyboard is is Swedish, and once in a while I have to use an X11-server which prefer a English keyboard...
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions