VOGONS

Common searches

Mouse Movement Bugged (Dosbox Daum)

Topic actions

First post, by fischkopf11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm experiencing some annoying mouse problems in Dosbox Daum. This ocours in every game that uses the mouse. It's like the mouse sticks to one spot and i'ts almost impossible to move it across the screen. It makes games which use the mouse unplayable. I have no idea what causes this, on my old PC this worked perfectly well. This doesn't occur in Dosbox 0.74 however, but I don't want to use that. Does anyone know how to fix? I've already tried disabling mouse accelleration in Windows - doesn't do anything.

Reply 5 of 26, by fischkopf11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ykhwong wrote:

Ok, thanks for the replies so far. So I tried this and with both files i get "The Update is Not Applicable to Your Computer".

Replacing the SDL.dll didn't work either, probably because Dosbox Daum doesn't come with a SDL.dll to begin with.

Reply 6 of 26, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The update KB2908279 is only applicable to Windows 8.1, not Windows 8.
Also, on the Download Center page, language must be set properly depending on the locale language of the operating system.

Try updating your video card driver and changing your video output from direct3d to either ddraw or opengl in the DOSBox configuration.

Reply 7 of 26, by fischkopf11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ykhwong wrote:

The update KB2908279 is only applicable to Windows 8.1, not Windows 8.
Also, on the Download Center page, language must be set properly depending on the locale language of the operating system.

Try updating your video card driver and changing your video output from direct3d to either ddraw or opengl in the DOSBox configuration.

I know, but since I use Windows 8.1 and I chose my language (german), I don't know why it wouldn't work. This really sucks. And I don't want to change graphics mode to any other than direct3d because I want to use all the shaders and scaling filters. I've done some googling and found out other ppl couldn't install the update as well. I guess for now my workaround will be using Windowed mode, since that's the only way I can use Dosbox and still have all the amazing filters and shaders (crt shader ftw) that Dosbox Daum comes with. Using that i'm at least able to use the mouse to some extent, although it's not the most accurate way. For some strange reason turning mouse accelleration OFF makes the mouse all messed up in windowed mode for instance diagonal movement is much faster than horizontal or vertical, so i will keep it on...

Reply 9 of 26, by fischkopf11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NY00123 wrote:

Just checking, but is it a touch screen which is used as a mouse replacement by chance?

No, it's a 2400dpi gaming mouse SM-610... From german manufacturer CSL. I also have a Synaptics touchpad hooked up, since this is a laptop.

Reply 10 of 26, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fischkopf11 wrote:

I've done some googling and found out other ppl couldn't install the update as well.

Press the Windows-R and type %windir%\system32\wuapp.exe to manually install the update.

Reply 12 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That is one of the drawbacks of a static library I suppose. As I am pretty sure that using the 0.74 SDL.dll would fix your problem. (as it does on my machine)
Maybe use dosbox 0.74 instead ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 26, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this update rollup that includes the KB2908279:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detai … s.aspx?id=41290 (x86)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detai … s.aspx?id=41294 (x86-64)

Reply 14 of 26, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having the same problem. Windows 8.1 and bugged mouse too where it acts sticky, but I was using an older version of ykhwong's build from 2011. Replacing SDL.dll with the one from 0.74 seems to be working for me.

I tried the newest ykhwong build and had the same problem. I didn't see a SDL.dll in that, and moving the one from 0.74 into the folder didn't help either.

Reply 15 of 26, by Happy Prince

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to have the very same problem in Win8.1. BUT - only while using D-Fend Reloaded. With plain ykhwong's build everything is OK, whether games are being launched by means of .bat file or through ykhwong's GUI.

P.S. This is probably offtop here, but I can not use OpenGL HQ output in ykhwong's build. It just crashes. I beleive this has started happening after NVidia 332.21 drivers installation. With the latest 334.89 problem persists.

Reply 16 of 26, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same problem with truth5678's recent DOSBox SVN + Munt SVN build (initially launched by D-Fend Reloaded) and it appears Qbix is correct; using the SDL from DOSBox v0.74 fixes the problem. Further testing has shown the with truth5678's build the problem also occurs outside of D-Fend using a fresh conf file. When I get the chance, I'll test with ykhwong's build outside of D-Fend Reloaded as well.

EDIT:

Confirmed the problem exists in ykhwong's build regardless of whether it's launched from within D-Fend Reloaded. I have the updates installed that are mentioned earlier in the thread but the problem still exists.

Reply 17 of 26, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did some poking around and found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279/en-us

I'm not sure if it'll fix DOSBox SVN Daum but I'll try it out when I get a chance.

EDIT:

Success! There is your workaround. Make sure Update rollup 2903939 is installed (which includes KB2908279) than manually add the keys/values to Windows registry as described in the article, using the full path to DOSBox SVN Daum executable, then run the command line and it works like a charm. 😀